Saturday, November 27, 2010

Nov, 2010 Thanksgiving Weekend : Our Meal At Home In VA./ Driving Rock Creek Parkway DC / CHALONE / PIO CESARE / CLOS DU VAL/ KENWOOD/ CROFT LBV

- The Wines We Enjoyed On Thanksgiving Day : Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Gavi Di Gavi, Late-Bottled Vintage 1994 ... the headline should finish. All grand, really!


It's been a grand Thanksgiving weekend here at home in northern Virginia and in Washington D.C. where I have now manged the wine department and sales/ activities of the store now for almost eleven years. How time has rushed me quickly along and deposited me hither here and there and almost everywhere as I have tried to either stay up in front of things and also be carried back to pick up many of the beautiful pieces that have been discarded or ignored for seemingly more obvious and popular prizes of the moment. Good for me and my customers ; too bad for those that did not see their merits.




I've had a blast and feel at the very top of my powers if I can only " seize them " and focus and channel and make them speak the volumes of stories and messages that I know they all carry and should/must be heard today in these very difficult economic and challenging times when so much is being ignored by turning our backs which we are doing now so often that I don't believe we hardly notice it anymore.




I'm challenged , frustrated, maddened, scared and stresses by all of this that I see going on or not : and now as I look, peer more closely and examine a bit more - what does it mean for the world, for me and what is my next challenge, opportunity and task as a result from it?!?




It's happening all the time and so quickly that I miss much of it I am sorry to say as I try and stay focused and directed and try and do things that will mean something now to me and to others now or eventually.

I write this blog and it's very important to me to keep it up : to work on it daily as I am now. And yet there is hardly any response from anyone and this makes me wonder : why do I bother? Why do I bother at all ? Hardly anyone leaves any comments in the comment sections below each blog and so of course the obvious response to me is : they didn't like it, they didn't think it was well stated, written, put together, pictured. Perhaps they think it is pointless and childish, too personal with too much unsubstantiated enthusiasm, praise, art-focus : with not enough critical review and observation? Perhaps people feel that I do not have the right perspective or point-of-view? That I am not hard enough or judgemental enough?

Perhaps this is all wrong and I should not worry at what people think? Perhaps this is all simply life at full throttle and business as usual and I am not stirring the cauldron enough to make things explode and get an immediate response and written reaction?

I can't worry about any of this, really : this is simply me being vulnerable and blowing off steam as I know once again that there will be no written responses and I am okay with that as I firmly believe that I am on a mission and one that is all of my creation and that I am proud of it and what it means both to me and the small slice of world that has been brought into contact with it.




This has been my Thanksgiving week here in Washington D.C. from Monday, November 22nd- today, Sunday, November 28th, 2010. I hope you enjoy these pictures of home in northern Virginia and my drive through Rock Creek Parkway( I was inspired to take these pictures because of the lovely coloration of the leaves and contrasts against the brown tree trunks and the blue skies, the bridges, etc ).




We enjoyed some PIO CESARE Gavi di Gavi 2007 Piemontese dry white from Italy, both the CHALONE California 2006 Pinot Noir and the Pinot BIanco white oaked 2007 dry white, as well as I enjoyed some CROFT Late-bottled vintage 2004 port as I grilled our tender and slim asparagus shoots on our back deck. You see inside and out : it's a nice contrast and gives one the framework to fill in the rest of the spaces and questions as they see fit. To let one's imagination go and become active and alive ...




Here's above pictured the CROFT LBV 1994 port that I so enjoyed and warmed me sufficiently as I grilled the asparagus all lined up nicely here as you can all see ...




Look at those vibrant yellows above! I fell in love with them instantaneously!




We did not drink the 1998 CLOS DU VAL Napa Stags Leap bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon that was given to me recently as a gift by someone that works high-up at CLOS DU VAL : thanks. Maybe we will enjoy it tonight if I grill some steaks later outside on this same grill?

WE also did not drink the 2005 KENWOOD Sonoma " Artist Series " California Cabernet Sauvignon that was also given to me recently to enjoy over the Thanksgiving holiday season/long weekend. Again, we will enjoy it as well before we ring in the New Year! Thanks to one and to all that have been so nice as to drop off bottles for me and my family to try and enjoy now during the holiday season. My family and I appreciate the thought and the gesture. And who knows, if we do not already sell these wines perhaps we will as a result in December 2010 which is right around the corner.






I do love these pictures of the trees, the trunks and the branches still filled with so much grand shading of mellow yellows like in Donovan's song of many moons ago... his other song : " Colors ", too is wonderful. Do any of you remember any of these songs from the late sixties and early seventies I believe?




The turkey feast was moist and succulent and beautifully fixed and served by my wife and I ate everything on my plate it was so delicious.




It would have been nice after finishing everything off of my plate to have taken a long, lingering and leisurely stroll through Rock Creak Parkway in Washington D.C. after that meal. I can do it symbolically now as I have presented these pictures here both for me as well as for you. Cheers, TONY

No comments: