Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Nov. " Big Theme " Wine-Tasting : New Zealand's Clevedon PURIRI HILLS Bordeaux-Style Vineyard Reds W/ Mother & Son , Virginia, California &

: Argentina, Australia, France, Italy, Oregon and Spain the headline should finish .


I should have published this so long ago and when I turn back like this and realize that I still have a blog like this with the pictures mounted in their draft form I cannot believe that I have not pulled myself enough together to have written something so as to be able to post it. Inexcusable and yet it does happen and I do feel bad as so many of these people from three Virginia wineries as well as from one in New Zealand ( PURIRI HILLS in Clevedon with owner Judy Fowler and her son ) and then other important sales people / reps, too have given of their time and energy and experience to make these " Big-Theme Tastings of ours the big-successes that they are each and every time. Thank you all for all of your enthusiasm and smiles and hard work.

We had some new talent on our scene above with son and mother ( owners of the " new " and exciting PURIRI HILLS Vineyard wines that are all red and made with France's Bordeaux region as their inspiration ) showing their wines from a " new " growing region in New Zealand ( I believe that they showed four or five wines from the vintages of 2002-2006 I think : I will have to find my list ; all made to be aged and enjoyed slowly over time with no one being in a race or a mad-dash to finish first - the traditional style of both wine-making and enjoying one's wines with their meals and not simply by themselves ): their wines are from a a new region - they are the first to make wines there - that I had never heard of before.

I found my notes! This " new " region is called Cleveldon. We had Judy and her son pour four wines from PURIRI : 1) The Clevedon Bordeaux Blend Red 2002 ( $21.99 ), the 2) Clevedon Bordeaux Blend Red 2003 ( $21.99 ), the 3) Clevedon Estate Bordeaux Blend Red 2005 ($32.99 ) and the 4) Clevedon Estate Reserve Bordeaux Blend Red 2006 ( $43.99 ). They were all well-received and we sold many bottles of each of these four. Each had their advocates and that's exactly as it should be. They were all showing better as they opened gracefully and with time.

He's holding the bottle above as you can see while his mother speaks to one of our very interested customers that really stayed for quite awhile and made sure to pace herself and taste all of the assorted thirty or more wine selections. That's when we know that we are a success : sales of course but also when people linger to get the most possible for themselves out of these tastings that we try and hold each month on a particular them if possible to be able to focus in more on whatever we chose.




I have much more to say and to add but I need to find my notes and I am at home here in northern Virginia now on Thursday morning, January 13th, 2011 on a very cold and gray day at 8:27AM and all is well starting this new year except for being really tardy at finishing some of the work started months ago! Oh well, just have to work harder.




I will have to call our wine rep Dimitri from Nice Legs Selections and order more of these wonderful dry red Kiwi wines as we sold all of them this past December 2010. What do you now have in stock Dimitri? What vintages are currently available to us.




Funny that we had three wine-makers/owners from Virginia ( COOPERS VINEYARD, NORTH GATE and FABBIOLI CELLARS with Doug Fabbioli, Mark Fedor and Rebecca Cooper featured and tasting ) and then the Judy Fowler owner of PURIRI Vineyard that grew up in Lynchburg, Virginia before moving overseas and eventually to New Zealand. I believe that she had spent time in France at first before moving to New Zealand. Do I have this correctly?




I will finish this a bit later but post it " as is " for now and hope that you all add some notes to my comment section below to help me " flesh it out " as there has been some time that has passed now and my memory though good can always be added to and expanded upon. Cheers and thanks toy you all once again.

You can always come and see us at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com and now on Twitter and Facebook at : clevelandparkwines&spirits ) and call or email us with any questions or concerns or needs. Cheers, TONY

No comments: