Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I Sit Down To Lunch Yesterday With Old Italian Friend Alessandro Furlan @ The Firehook Bakery On Tues. May 17th, 2011 - Memory Lane!

It was great to sit down to lunch with Alessandro Furlan my old Italian friend from way, way back in the 1980's in the old Mayflower Wines & Spirits days. Alessandro spoke of that, of Sidney's passing and how much things have changed since those days then when he came to learn English and stay with Michael and Peggy Downing and come to work at the Mayflower Wines & Spirits at the corner of M Streets and New Hampshire Avenue in the old Arnold & Porter law-office building. Michael Downey was part-owner then with Sidney Moore and her parents.

It was a great lunch. Manager Cheryl of the Firehook Bakery took really good care of us herself and we chatted and reminisced and got a bit caught up with family and current affairs. Alessandro was checking things on his computer. As he announced when he came to the store before lunch : he came just to see me, for no other reason. We do carry and sell many of the wines that he represents, especially DEGANI , OBERTO and VERBENA - all great Italian estates. They all sell well and it's great to have met the owners of OBERTO and of VERBENA. I have never met anyone yet from DEGANI and look forward to that as we sell so much of the everyday Valpolicella.

It's a bit shocking to exchange notes and see how we both feel that things have changed. As Alessandro put it the new generation has made their own connections just as we did at the time. That we are not necessarily a part of that and that they are doing things their way and sometimes we fit in and are embraced and sometimes not. That's the reality and he said it almost in a matter-of-fact way that was painful to someone like me that takes it all to heart and so personally.

I sat there and drew five quick portrait sketches of Alessandro that I gave to him. I do this each time that I can as it is my personal gift to those that I come into contact with a who touch my life. I enjoy this : I get quite wrapped up into the whole process and I was just starting to get going with the last two sketches that I did and which I numbered so that later people can take note of the order and the progression and how my hands and my mind all started to relax more as we spoke and ate our fruit salads first and then we each shared a half of the two sandwiches : a chicken-avocado and a tuna fish sandwich : both quite tasty. Cheryl toasted the bread for us. Thanks Cheryl.

I have more to say but will finish this later as it's time to get to work and get the day in order and sell lots of wine and get ready for owner Salvatore's visit from his GROTTA DEL SOL vineyard in Naples, Italy . He will taste from 5:30-8:30PM tonight. No charge so come and join us for that. Cheers and stay-tuned for more. TONY

No comments: