Thursday, October 16, 2008

Jeanette Bruwer, Owner of SPRINGFIELD ESTATE South African Wines ( www.springfieldestate.com ) Was Here Wed. Sept. 2006 5-8 PM Tasting New Releases


It was great to get Jeanette here in the store to taste her excellent dry South African reds and whites from Robertson, South Africa ( PO Box 770, Robertson 6705 Republic of South Africa tel: 023 626 3661 ( int 23 626 3661 ) jeanette@springfieldestate.com ). She owns the winery with her family and she had some fascinating stories to tell about her father that was so determined to make Sauvignon Blanc in one place that they literally had to dynamite holes into solid rock. The wines produced are amazing from this location, too! Jeanette tasted a range of her wines : Sauvignon Blanc " life from stone " 2005, $19.99, Chardonnay " wild yeast " 2004, $19.99, the " ripe berry " 2003 Fire Finch , $16.49, the " whole berry " 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon, $22.99 and the " special cuvee " 2005 Sauvignon Blanc, $16.49. These were the prices back on September 6th, 2006. I am now finally typing a review of this event on Thursday evening, October 16th, 2008 almost two years later. I am a bit slow with all these blogs and have lots to catch-up on so you will all have to be really patient with me.

These wines are traditional, really well-balanced, focused wines with tremendous character and great terroir expression and in my humble opinion always best when served with food. It was a pleasure to meet Jeanette and have her pour her wines for our customers like Rob and Lindsay and Michael and then many new customers, too fortunate to have stopped by when they did. We sold lots of wine on this Wednesday evening and Jeanette was nice enough to sign many bottles as gifts.

Jeanette wrote in Afrikaans and I cannot read her script so I will wait till a later date to include it later when I get someone to check it first.

One of my friends and customers Gregg just returned from South Africa where he enjoyed some of Jeanette's wines with his family and has me to order some. I will be calling you shortly Gregg to let you know that it is in our store! I guess you might say that Gregg's request has prompted me to find both Jeanette's note as well as her pictures to include in this blog. Cheers Jeanette and thanks Gregg. Come taste again soon. Jeanette, I also look forward to hearing more about your father. He sounds like a really interesting/passionate character.

Call Mike Martin or Tony Quinn ( me ) to ask us about these wines, current vintages and to place your orders. Call: 202-363-4265 ( www.clevelandparkwine.com sales@clevelandparkwine.com 3423 Conn. Ave. N.W. Washington D.C. ). TONY














No comments: