Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The First Time I Met Jean Trimbach of TRIMBACH Wines, Ribeauville, Alsace, France in Januray 2007 Was It?!?








     Memories fails me and I don't always remember when I meet people like Jean. That's one of the reasons that I have them write  something on a page for me that I attach their business cards to and ask them to please date for me. I will look for it a bit later to confirm the dates. I did, however this morning stumble upon the first pictures that I took of Jean here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. They were taken when I was having problems with my camera and are slightly out-of-focus but Jean's enthusiasm, his smile and his overall relaxed demeanor convey beautifully. 

     I had received a call from my Pinnacles House rep Emilio Velez if he could stop by with Jean Trimbach back in January 2007. I said " of course " immediately as all wine owners and winemakers are welcome here all the time, anytime, with or without an appointment. I want to meet them all. That is one of my main missions in this business ; to meet them and get to have some time with them. That's selfish but I segue it into future tasting here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits Washington D.C. ( www.clevelandparkwine.com,  sales@clevelandparkwine.com  202-363-4265 ) so that any of you fortunate enough can meet Jean and others like him, too. It's all about sharing them with you. That's my second aim. The first as I have just admitted is selfish but well-intentioned. That's one reason that I like to see them outside the store as well as here. if I can spend some time with them outside then I get to learn more myself and have thus more to share with you all. 
     I like to tell stories and sometimes it takes awhile to hear one as they may relate one to me at some point in the time spent with them not here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. Sometimes that time becomes the story itself.
     I would have loved to have followed Jean and his niece, Anne next door to the Nam Viet restaurant because I would have had some of that time to gain more insight into both Jean and his niece, Anne. I will ask Emilio to relate to me a story now as he was there afterwards at Nam Viet. i think it was more of a sales meeting to thank those that help promote Jean and his wines while he is here in Washington D.C. Both Emilio Velez and Javier Baquero were there with their significant others. John Laird of Chateau & Estates was also at this dinner.
     I just called Emilio and asked him for a story and he told me immediately about the Trimbach lyrics to a song ( which I did not know existed ) that were composed on a train in California in the past when Jean Trimbach's father was working with John Laird to promote the Trimbach wines. I've asked Emilio to get me a copy of the song which I will include the lyrics in a later blog.
     When I met Jean this first time I told him before trying the wines that I did not sell his wines because they were available everywhere. I told him that he did not need my help. I told him all of this in French and he responded immediately that I should sell his wines because of their high quality and that they represented really true expressions of their terroir. I tasted with him as we debated our cases back-and-forth and I had to admit that he was right. I liked what I was tasting. I liked the elegance, the finesse, the brightness, the tight reins that his brother's wines exhibited. They were and are classic and I like overall their balance and restraint. Cheers to you Jean and your brother. Cheers also to your parents before you and now to Anne who is your future and will carry on after you. Having just met Anne here with Jean less than a month ago I feel the future for TRIMBACH is bright.
     We have a selection of these wines here in the store ( Riesling 2005, $16.49, Pinot Blanc , Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer 2000 Cuvee des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierren $41.49 and red Pinot Noir 2003, $21.49  that we are really pleased to have ) and more. There's a whole range of TRIMBACH wines and if we do not already have them Mike or I ( Tony ) will be pleased to order them for you. Call us at : 202-363-4265.
     Here are some pictures to enjoy in the meantime. Jean is holding a bottle of the Pinot Gris Reserve Personnelle 1999 I believe that he signed for me ( I had it on the shelf at around $35 ? ).  Cheers, et sante Jean et Anne ....   TONY

No comments: