Thursday, January 23, 2014

Amy Troutmiller Of The Diamond District Wine Imports/Selections Brings Michel Dumas & Anthony Quinn ( Me ) Today, Thursday January 23rd, 2014 Some Fascinating, Fun, Unique, Quirky Wines To Taste From New York, Uruguay, California and Chile. Nice. Thanks Amy. This Is Our Third Tasting With Amy & Amy Will Do An In-Store Wine-Tasting @ Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits In February!













Tasted some fine wine selections with Amy Troutmiller earlier today that included some really excellent whites from New York's Long Island region : a Pinot Grigio that I wrote : Tasted anything but like a Pinot Grigio " : it had such a nut and a honey and a yeast and bread flavor that I also wrote something about " nuts and nuttiness " as they , for me are the strongest flavors that remind me of sherry. I could play with this Pinot Grigio - two daughters - because there are many food possibilities. That, as well as the " orange wine " from the same vineyard, Amy tells me that Danny at Ripple is doing a whole lot with this " orange " category of wines. I can see why, it's challenging and something new to tackle and see how best to pair with a meal, or just outside on your patio as Amy mentioned? I am at home now typing this and so am both tired and thrilled to be home and going off my memory with no notes in front of me, just my best and most poignant recollections of these flavors and tastes of the wines. I will include many details really soon. Amy also tasted Michel Dumas and Anthony Quinn ( me ) on an affordable and delicious Chilean Carmenere that we can retail for $9.99 a bottle that is fruit-forward from start to finish, tasty, with balance and flavor and medium-bodied with a fine mouth-feel, too. It was a favorite of mine this afternoon. I also liked the California Cabernet Sauvignon from Amy that was also fruit-forward, balanced, pleasing, fresh and where the alcohol was in check and never a concern. Lovely. Then there was the Uruguayian Tannat that we can sell for $16.99 retail I believe that was also fruit-driven, fruit-center-stage as well - and the sweeter, port-style 375ml bottle that had nuts and honey and dried fruit and a lovely chocolate presence at the second part of the taste on the palate and tongue that will be quite endearing to many of our customers - an " instant hit ". We will sell it well, especially with Valentine's Day Amy, we need to have you pour it at your first in-store wine-tasting with our customers in February. And Amy, we used to buy if from Abel Sauza that specializes in the wines of Uruguay and that is himself from Uruguay, and I hear moved to live in Florida. Cheers, thanks again, TONY 1/23/14

UPDATE : Saturday, March 1st, 2014 : ...




Liz and Ryan brought Matt and Carol-Ann from North Carolina to the store after 8 PM and said : " You're still tasting wine, right?!? ", and I, with my coat on and ready to head out the door said : " No. That's over. " Ryan persisted with : " We brought our good friends visiting us to meet you. " Turns out that Ryan and Matt and Carol-Ann go way back, growing up together and that this was their first visit to Washington D.C. to visit Ryan and Liz. I pulled out the wine that was left from Amy Troutmiller's selections : a delicious dry Veneto Riesling Italico from Italy, $13.99 and we started there and proceeded to the Bardolino dry red from Veneto, Italy and the Spanish red Bobal and with these two reds I said : " Looks like you guys are screwed because it's always ' Ladies first ' and there's just enough for Liz and Carol-Ann. " They sighed, and Carol-Ann said : " Suck it up! " , and I responded : " Wow, I like Carol-Ann! " and smiled. I did have some of the ' aged ' LEBLON Cacacha from Brazil to pour them all and spoke about Fatima's tasting and Brazil's Carnaval last night and the tasting. Ryan said : " I told you so! We should have come last night! " I tasted them also on the ALEXANDRE Pedro Ximenez sherry, $32.99, they loved it and bought a bottle for Carol-Ann's father I think? Then I said : " Wait Liz, I have something special for you and I went to get the green LEBLON shiny beads' necklace for her and Carol-Ann amd both Ryan and Matt put them over the necks of Liz and Carol-Ann. Matt took this ' selfie ' of us all. We had a blast. Chatted, bonded, enjoyed. Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn 3/12014




No comments: