Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sampling Fermenting Shiraz Grapes To Make DE MEYE'S Dry Rose With John Morrison Wed. March 18th, 2009 In Cape Town


Correction : the headline should finish ; "... To Make DE MEYE dry Shiraz Rose Wine in Stellenbosch, South Africa " and not Cape Town! Oops! ALSO : Notice how we were tasting with the official DE MEYE glass stem ware and how that looks so nice ( captures the wine, place, too ) next to people, barrels, stainless steel, etc ) ? I like that. I also like that I caught a picture of this fermenting rose-colored Shiraz grapes ( pink color ) with Marcus in his workman's/wine maker's boots - an essential for the job I believe! Read on ....






















Here are some of the pictures that I took of with John Morrison and me at DE MEYE Vineyards with owner Philip Myburgh, winemaker Marcus Milner and sales director Thildee de Jaeger as we samples the just starting to ferment young Shiraz grapes that would become their dry rose for later this year.

We at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel" 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) still have the 2008 dry Shiraz DE MEYE ( Stellenbosch rose ) that we are selling really well at the very reasonable price of only $9.99 a bottle. I sold some just yesterday as a matter of record, April 18th, 2009. Funny, that's just one month ago exactly that I was there at DE MEYE with these three wonderful people ( as well as my fabulous, knowledgeable guide and host, importer John Morrison, president with his wife Theresa Morrison of Boutique Vineyards' Collections : Theresa is also the author of the book Cape Winelands available at our store for $20 - all proceeds go to breast cancer research ).

It was a great opportunity to watch the winery in full action. There's one picture I included in this bunch that shows the grapes arriving and being put through the de-stemmer I believe - just outside of where the five of us were sampling this soon-to-be-dry rose Shiraz DE MEYE 2009 to follow in the footsteps of the already excellent 2007 and 2008 vintages that we have and are selling currently.

I like the weight, the body, the freshness and the concentration of flavors that will hold their own against many a meal as well as taste good all on it's own anytime/anywhere at a great, affordable everyday price. Bravo guys!

Again my camera is playing tricks on me and these photos are in shades of reds and pinks and silvers. This gives them a different look entirely that works sometimes and not as well other times. It does preserve the moment though and provide an insight into that for which I am thankful, Enjoy them in all their three-tone colors : and after all there's red and rose wine and here we have rose wine that we are talking about that : quel coincidence as the French would say!

I was getting to know how to use my new camera here and I moved it too quickly some times and so the picture has a movement and a life of it's own in many of the cases. I like it : atmospheric and eerie and pink-red moody.

I took many through the wine glass with the fermenting rose-colored Shiraz grape juice in it and those are my more artsy photos that I want to be remembered for. They , for me help to unite the wines that the winemakers and owners make together so that they may be seen in the same image. I think this is key : the two are bound together and should be seen together. They belong together : one would not exist without the other.

The second picture of me shows the crate of grapes just arrived ( just above my head outside and waiting to be crushed, de-stemmed, made into wine ).

I apologize for the silver-toned skin here on hands and faces. I love the picture of you Thildee with the red crates behind you and the way your lips are red and your fingernails are pink. I'm sorry your skin has a bit of the silver tone but I do like the image a lot and I think you look quite striking and beautiful : so I hope you forgive em and my new camera for our inexperience here.

There's one picture here of a brunette lady that was our waitress later that evening that does not belong here - sorry.

What a lovely, brief moment in time : we are all connected here by this soon-to-be-dry Shiraz rose during harvest and wine-making time in Stellenbosch, South Africa at DE MEYE winery/vineyards on a beautiful day. Check out the other blog entries here for more picture and more of this fun story and time. There's still more to come, too. Yikes! This should be a full-time job for me : seems almost like it is. Correction : a full-time labor of love which it has always been and always be.

Come visit us at the store here in our nation's capitol so that we can/may repay your kindness, attentiveness and warmth.

Cheers, TONY

No comments: