Friday, April 3, 2009

Jean-Michel Chartron of CHARTRON, Puligny Montrachet, Burgundy Here Thurs. April 3rd, 2009 With Rep Jody Jackman Of Winebow


     It was great to have Jean-Michel here yesterday, Thursday, April 2nd, 2009 with Jody Jackman. Hare are some fun photos that I took while we were tasting through Jean-Michel's fun portfolio of white burgundies. He wrote in our guest book : "  A Tony pour son amour des vins et son sens de l'humour... sans oublier ses talents de photographes ... bien amicalement, jean-Pierre Chartron.

     For more technical information go to :  DOMAINE JEAN CHARTRON  21190   Grande Rue Puligny Montrachet , France  Tel : +33(0)3 80 21 99 19

  jean-michel.chartron@jeanchartron.com.

     We tried  a bone-dry, mature, aromatic, nut-accented Bourgognr Aligote 2006  ( $17.99 ), and   an elegant, velvety, silky and subtle ( classic ) medium-to-lighter-bodied Bourgogne Chardonnay,  ( $21.99 ).

     This set the mood : we knew then that these were classic, balanced food wines that  are best when paired with food. This was the old idea about wine : drinking it with the meal. Today so many people here in the U.S. drink most of the bottle I believe while they are preparing the food. I do often with my wife. However, often we have appetizers, too and that helps bring the wine out of it's shell, fleshes it out, gives it more attention and allows it to be more center-stage.

     I'm a big fan of these style wines of CHARTRON : just be patient and wait for them to reveal their many charms. Don't be in a rush, don't over chill the wines, let them open slowly and gracefully.

     We passed onto the Saint Aubin " Murgers Dents de Chien "( $49.99 ) 2006 and again I got more of the nut and lush, almost creamy style with vanilla, too. It was almost airy like a souffle of wine flavors - classic Burgundy flavors.

     Then we went onto the Rully " montmorin " ($25.99 ) and again I had to pause, reflect, re-acclimate my palate to these new textures and accents. Again, i had to think what I would like to eat with this flavorful dry Rully white.

    We finished with the Puligny Montrachet ( $59.99 ) which was the most closed, the least developed and who's nose captivated and drew me towards it immediately. I wish I had had time to give it all the stage and the time that it needed!

    Oh well, I 'll get another chance as Jody is here doing an in-store tasting ( Friday, April 3rd, 2009 5-8 PM ) and she has an open bottle. On that I'll wish you all well now and add to this a bit later as time permits.

     In the meantime enjoy these photos and come by Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits to find and buy some CHARTRON white burgundies. Cheers,  TONY

     











No comments: