Monday, April 13, 2009

I Tasted DANTE/ DON ADELIO ARIANO & CHIAPPELLA Wines With Abel Sosa- Arroqui ( President ) Of Uruguay Imports,Montevideo, Uruguay










Abel Soza-Arroqui( President ) of Uruguay Imports comes here to Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits Monday, April 13th, 2009 to taste me on five " new " releases, one white Viognier, three red blends and one 100% red Tannat : all from Uruguay.

Abel called me earlier this afternoon and asked if he could stop by : he had open samples of some of his wines. I did not know that all five would be " new " wines but was pleased to discover this when he arrived at the store thirty minutes later.

I went to get my camera so that I could take pictures of them. This is my way of preserving the moment and remembering what I have tasted. I liked all five wines : I thought that they were all balanced and different and all interesting to represent at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com ). I told him that we will buy some of all of them over the next two-three months. I especially liked the white Viognier ( DANTE'S 2008 ) and the red J. CHIAPPELLA Reserva 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon/Tannat red blend for drinking when the weather turns hotter.

The other three reds : a J' CHIAPPELLA " Marselan " 2008 Grenache Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon red blend ; a DON ADELIO ARIANO 2005 Syrah and a Tannat red blend and a 100% Tannat Reserva from DANTE'S( I can't remember everything now so I will have to look at the labels here in my pictures ) were also good but a bit heavier, chunkier, fatter and less elegant or refined. They all had their distinct personalities and should all have been slightly-chilled when served to me to energize and focus them just a bit more. I will add vintages tomorrow, too. All these wines are designed to sell from between $14 and $16 a bottle on the shelf or floor display.

The DANTE'S white Viognier was balanced and firm and tasty with flavor yet no roughness on the palate. I liked that : I could see people drinking it by itself as with many a meal. These are all good food wines. I believe that Uruguay is making good wines and that we here in the U.S. are just slow to pick up on this essential fact as we simply sell more Chilean and Argentinian wines because they already have proven track records. This will change of course : give it another 2-5 years and I think more stores will carry them and sell them successfully.

I got some good candids of Abel here, or as candid as possible with him knowing that I was at times taking his picture. I have known Abel now for many years and carried his wines at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits now for four or five years? I can't remember : it's been awhile. He even came one Saturday afternoon to pour his wines with his wife for our customers. That was a nice treat and the wines sold well.

With all the interest in the Tannat grape ( I always say : what's Tannat like?!? ) and it's high percentage of resveratrol it sells better than all the other grapes like Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. We try and carry some of all of these and now will also carry these new blends.

I will post this blog tonight ( the day of his visit to the store ) and fill in the names like STAGNARI and all the other vineyards tomorrow at the store. Cheers, thanks Abel for the good tasting earlier. Uruguay is on a roll with their wines and we at Cleveland Park have been happy to sell them for the last six or more years ( and many cases at that - many types and brands, too ). TONY

For more technical info about Abel and his excellent wines from Uruguay go to : Dr. Scoseria 2682, Suite #902 TelFax : (5982 ) 711-35-45 Montevideo, Uruguay, 1921 , Annapolis Road, Baltimore, MD 21230 Tel : 301-983-9492 301- 332-8671 uruguayimp@erols.com www.abelsosawines.com. For technical info go to :, thanks Abel, TONY

No comments: