Saturday, October 18, 2008

Winemaker Shuki Yashuv of AGUR Winery, Judean Hills, Israel Here Tasting Two Dry Reds ( www.agurwines.com ) 2006










We had a visit from the winemaker Shuki Yashuv of AGUR ( www.agurwines.com , Moshav Agur 17, Emek Ha'ella 99840 tel: 972-2-999-5423 fax: 972-2-991-0483 , ) winery here in the store one afternoon ( June 3rd, 2007 ) tasting his " new " releases of two dry Israeli reds from the Judean Hills which are Bordeaux in style with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot ( one Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, $32.99 , and one less expensive blend in the twenties ).

Shuki is warm and alive and engaging and animated and full of personality and charm and enthusiasm for life and what he does. I warmed to him almost immediately. He drew me in to his conversation and made me feel a real part of it , him and our meeting. I greatly appreciated and welcomed this. I agree with him and try and do the very same each and every time that I meet someone. Why waste time? Make a strong, lasting warm impression, that's what I say! Shuki and I really did get along fabulously almost from the get-go. Thanks Shuki. You like I am are about sharing information, teaching and making things appraochable to others.

Let them decide if something is for them or not but at least give them the chance to arrive at their own conclusions with the myriad of opportunities out there just waiting to be discovered and experienced or not depending on each and every one of us.

This is the day that I learned that not all Israeli wines are kosher. I was genuinely surprised. But Shuki explained to me that they have to become certified " kosher " and that takes money and time? Do I have this correctly? Anyway, Shuki's will eventually be kosher but not these two that I am tasting today with Shuki and Jonas.

I asked Shuki to write something for me in my book that I get all winemakers and wine owners to sign. Each get one blank page all to themselves. It's my way of preserving a bit of a memory and a further connection with these marvelous people responsible for creating these liquid wine " gems " of ours. This is what Shuki wrote : " Let the flavors of the Mediterranean combine in Anthony's wine shop and be a base for a long-lasting friendship !! " Shuki Yashuv 6/3/07. I agree, let this be the beginning for us.

Since meeting Shuki almost a year-and-a-half ago we have sold both his non-kosher Judean Hills dry reds. His relative, Spanish Rosa has now been in the store four times : once to say hello, a second time to pour her wines at one of our BOG THEME monthly tastings with other suppliers, once in Oct. 2007 during Halloween with her daughter ( all dressed up for Halloween and looking great! I have a picture of this and will have to include it when I find it. ) and just recently to taste me on the new releases in September 2008. Today is Sunday, October 19th at 4:17 PM at my home as I finish this blog on both Shuki and Rosa.

In such a short period of time we have created something special - a wonderful bond and I continue to really enjoy these fine wines of AGUR. I look forward to seeing you again Shuki and you, too Rosa as you live locally here in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.

Here are the pictures of him with our Dionysos rep Jonas E. Gustafsson. Hope you like them. We stock the wines here in the store. For more technical information please go to Shuki's web page at : www.agurwines.com. Jonas has gone on to represent a selection of his own selections since this visit and is no longer with Dionysos as of six or more month's ago. We now have a new rep from Dionysos, a lovely young lady who came last time with Rosa this past September but who's name escaped me now as I type. Sorry.

Good luck to you Jonas in your new venture that you told me about a month or so ago at Etrusco restaurant where we saw each other at the Downey Imports 10th-year celebration of bring us all so many fine Italian wines ( started by Michael and Peggy Downey and now carried on by Peggy and children Brennan and Shannon Downey. Michael passed away several years ago. He would have been 60 years-old the day after that Sunday at Etrusco this year ). Jonas, thanks for bringing Shuki to me. Because of you and your great service I did a whole lot more business with Dionysos as I believe that it is often the salesperson ( the contact ) as much as it is the company that makes you want to business with them in the first place. Cheers.

To find out more about what we stock here at Cleveland Park Wines of Shuki's wines and other Israeli and kosher wines contact Mike Martin and me ( Tony Quinn ) at : 202-363-4265 / sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com . Cheers, TONY

No comments: