Saturday, October 11, 2008

What's In A Few Pictures?Here Are Three Showing The Aftermath Of A Great Time ! Thanks Kim and Phil In Seattle!





     This is my thank-you to you both Kim and Phil that were customers of ours here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits in Washington D.C. a couple of years ago. We got to know you over the years here as you'd shop for your wines and your spirits and with time you added first one baby and then another to the equation and then you moved to Seattle, WA. State. You were family while here and we really enjoyed your company. We have many pictures of your visits, too. I will try and find them before posting this blog.

     Before leaving Phil brought me a bottle of this 1977 DIAMOND HILL " Volcanic Terrace " Napa valley California Cabernet Sauvignon with a slightly low fill. I loved that when we recently drank it the bottle was still all-dusty from my cellar and that none of us had wiped it off. It lent an air of antiquity/age to it that in the candle's light looked really nice. Phil  was not sure how it would taste but both he and Kim wanted me to have it saying that they knew I would be able to appreciate it. I thanked them as their gift really touched me. They are so generous and show their appreciation like few ever do. Thanks guys!

     I loved all the decanters, the candle light, the reflections off of steel, metal and glass, the desserts, blue & white ceramic water pitcher, the fresh peaches , the monastery wooden table and it's sheen that supported this treasure trove of liquid and solid wealth; and the glow and warmth of everything and everyone. This was quite a special evening indeed. We relaxed and partied hard all in one.

     They would bring us gifts of chocolates during the holidays and that was always appreciated. We'd share them here and with our families. Very thoughtful indeed.

     I was not sure how this how this low-fill old bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon would taste and I thought that it might be great as well as dead once open. I was thus both apprehensive and thrilled about opening it someday soon. That day came recently when all the Aussie wine owners/personalities ( Bob Gibson of LOOSE END, Barossa, South Australia , Peter Saturno of LONGVIEW, Adelaide, South Australia , and Nick Stacey of WEST CAPE HOWE, western Australia and VINACEOUS Wines  South Australia , and Liz Mencel, their manager and Jeremy Overman, rep of U.S. sales ) all came to dinner at our home the other evening. 

     I had the bottle lying out on out table with the others I had chosen to serve them. I wanted them to have some choices so I laid them out and was thrilled to see their responses as they examined the wines after our baseball game out at Camden Yards. We were all ready to relax and enjoy ourselves this rainy, wet Sunday afternoon. Nick was to be our grill-master and I was to orchestrate the selection and flow of the wines.

     This DIAMOND HILL 1977 started off really smoothly and showed finesse and real charm that just continued to evolve and become more pleasing and sublime. It had stiff competition with both the 1980 Robert Arnaud Vosne Romanee " Les Suchots " red Burgundy and the 1983 Paul Jaboulet Hermitages " Les Sizeranne " northern red Rhone. Even with the low-fill this 1977 DIAMOND HILL performed eloquently and sang to us our own versions of this Cabernet's " sweet lullabies ". I smiled that one of our last comments of the evening was of this gift from our/my two old customers/friends Kim and Phil. Cheers to you both and thanks again for your generosity.  TONY

No comments: