Tuesday, October 21, 2008

VINIFERA Imports Is On A Roll With Their Italian Selections / I Taste Weekly And Love Them! 2008










It's always a pleasure to try the Vinifera imports Italian selections of world-class wines. Our old rep Michael Weiser really took good care of us and now Gustavo Fernandes is stepping up to the plate and doing a fabulous job. Each week I try a bevy of wines to " ooh " and " ahhh " over from ICARDI, TENUTA MORMORAIA to Franco MARTINETTI, ODDERO CASALE GIGLIO ( Lazio ), SANT'ELENA and many more. You might like the style of wines being produced by these wineries but you cannot dispute the quality! Here are some pictures I took to remind me of how really fine they are : hope you like them. I last tasted a selection of them including the fabulously old-world style ICARDI last week, Tuesday, October 14th, 2008 I believe with my rep.

On January 19th, 2007 we had owner Maria Grazia of ICARDI at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits tasting some of her family's latest wine-releases. We tasted a whole range of Maria Grazie's wines from the white dry Cortese features in the array of recent wines brought to me recently. We also tasted her Barbera , her Barolo and her Moscato and more. I have included some pictures of that tasting at our store.

Yesterday, Wednesday October 29th, 2008 Gustavo came by with a sample of the ICARDI " Rousori " Dolcetto D'Alba DOC 2003 ( it was a bit too cold because it was really cold outside yesterday! ) and once it warmed a bit in my Reidel glass it really started to open and show some earthy, dusty dry mineral and fruit-integrated-fully into the well-worn, warm, shiny wood overtones. I could still taste some of the last rays of Italian sun that had touched the grapes before being picked ! It will sell for $21.99 when we get it in November along with the white Cortese.

Gustavo also brought me a surprise bottle of the MADRE SELVA rosso Lazio 1994 from CANALE DEL GIGLIO that I absolutely fell in love with! I've already ordered a case of it to come as well! It's pictured in the glass and Gustavo is holding the bottle up to his face in the first two photos appearing on this blog. Impressive wine and tasting great with this extra fourteen years of bottle age and showing nor signs in the least of getting tired yet.

Call Mike Martin or me ( Tony Quinn ) for an update at : 202-363-4265.

For more technical information on ICARDI go to : AZIENDA AGRICOLA ICARDI : Strada Com.le Balbi, 30 12053 Castiglione Tinell ( CN ) Tel : 0141 855159 Fax: 0141 855416 email : icardivini@libero.it.

This is what Maria Grazia wrote in our guest wine owner/maker book :

" Carissimo Tony, Grazie per aver apprezzato i nostri vini. E stata una bellissima giornata! In dimenticabile. Caio a presto in questo bellissimo wineshop. Con affetto " Maria Grazia
Cheers, TONY

No comments: