Friday, June 27, 2008

Owner Dott. Miriam Caporali Here ( TENUTA VALDIPIATTA ) Tasting Three Tuscan Reds Friday, June 27th, 2008


    Just a little while ago our local Winebow Imports Italian rep. David brought us Dott. Miriam Caporali of TENUTA VALDIPIATTA( Gracciano di Montepulciano, tel: 0578 757930 ) to taste three of her fmaily's excellent reds : 1) 2005 Rosso di Montepulciano, $19.99 ( no bite, no roughness, just polish and finesse, silk and bright freshness. I loved it ),  2) 2004 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG, $33.99 ( fuller, richer and just more mouth-feel yet just as elegant with no roughness of acidity or tannins ),  3) 2001 Vino Nobile di Montepulciano " Vigna D'Alfiero ", $64.99 ( wow, I was really impressed from the very first sip! It has such a wonderful complexity of everything I adore in good wine -spices, aromas of earth and countryside, of meals still-to-be-realized, forming dreams and good possibilities being fulfilled sooner than later - where the heavens speak to the land and to mere mortals like us ... ). THESES ARE SUPER, impressive wines and we will begin to carry them shortly.

     I learned as I spoke with Miriam that she and her family bought the vineyard in 1989, they have 68 acres and they produce ten thousand cases annually. They vineyard's vines are about on an average 35 years of age and that she works the winery with her father. Her sister has a hotel in Montepulciano and is not involved with the vineyard. And as I kept saying how smooth the wines were Miriam told me that they had engaged a very famous French oenologist/ Bordeaux V. Segalen  University of Bordeaux, Head of the Oenology Faculty named Yves Glories. Yves has done a lot of research on polyethenals and phenols and written about it and created a method to try and control their effects upon the wine. I can taste how successful he has been. I'm very impressed indeed and I look forward to meeting him sometime soon. In the meantime Miriam is charming and we look forward to getting her here sometime to do a store tasting at Cleveland Park Wines and Spirits.

     I found all this out about Yves Glories when I told Miriam that my second language was French. She smiled and said she , too spoke French. She, however practices her English more and prefers to speak that here. Her French sounded fine to me. I took lots of pictures, had her blushing and probably wondering what I was up to? I had to show her what I did with the sheets I get all visiting winemakers/owners to sign. This gave her a better idea of what to write. I don't blame her, I hit her with a whole lot all at once. 

     I will shortly download the pictures I took and include them here in a following blog. Miriam wrote in leaving : " I am so glad I met you. I really appreciate your passion and enthusiasm for wine! Hope to see you in Montepulciano next time ! " Miriam Caporali.  I'll be there as soon as I can! I love the book you signed and left for us to share with our customers. It looks beautiful where you are, the winery, the houses, the vines and rolling hills - all so green and lush! I also liked the photo of the olive tree because I think Tuscan virgin olive oil is some of the very best. Cheers, Miriam. Thanks for sharing all this with us.  TONY 

No comments: