Sunday, June 22, 2008

Monday, October 2nd,2006 Dinner at Ardeo w/ Matias Rivera, winemaker of COUSINO-MACUL winery, Chile




















I'm trying to catch up on a lot of past projects that I always intended to blog/write about and include pictures that I had taken. These are all my pictures, sometimes good ones and sometimes not. That's just the way it goes. I'm learning and experimenting as I go. I'm always looking for new angles and views and I have recently adopted the one of looking through the wine bottle ( glass ) and seeing how the view is distorted/enhanced. As I said, sometimes the pictures are quite good, sometimes quite bad. It's worth a try. I like the challenge, the serendipitous nature of it all as things can so easily change in a flash and have resounding impact on a situation and everything there.

I was looking through my old pictures and discovered these of Matias Rivera. We were unveiling so to speak the " new " white wine made from the grape called Sauvignon Gris. It has been a big hit in the store and we buy it whenever it is available. Here are perhaps some of my earliest experiments of taking pictures through the glass. It was night time and we were at the back of the restaurant which was only partially lighted. The pictures are not my best but hey, I wanted to share them anyway. Cheers! To good wine, good people, good places and good times. May there be many more. Ardeo did a great job for us at this dinner. I think everyone had a wonderful experience with the cooking then of Blake who has since left. He's quite the artist himself, Blake. He still comes and buys wines from us at Cleveland Park Wines and Spirits. Hope you enjoy these.

As you can see from the photos I have added some of the in-store tasting we did with Matias and our customers before walking down the street to Ardeo. Featured are Krishna( one of our very favorite customers. As many of you already know Krishna used to bartend just two store fronts down at Aroma. AS you can see we have a lot of the bottles we sell signed and inscribed personally as gifts by the wine makers / owners as gifts for our customers. This one just could have been one for her and signed it could become a further conversation piece as she shares it later with someone special and tells how she met Matias either by design or by chance this Monday evening. More stories to share while you and we enjoy the wine. Also featured are both Jody Jackman our local Winebow Imports rep and John Peters the old rep for Billington Imports. I've also included pictures of the store front at night and two quick shots of the sun/light sinking away for the evening and all the brilliant street lights of the stores up and down Connecticut Avenue N.W. I think that's the Uptown Theater, too ! So, now you have a full story of the evening's events with Matias and our customers this Monday night on October 2nd, 2006. How time flies. WE do know how to have fun and sell wine all at the same time at Cleveland Park Wines and Spirits.

Since we are not selling points/hype and scores for the wines we have to work extra hard and content ourselves with selling stories and sharing both the wine and the moment with you all, trying to bring you closer to the source and the inspiration and reason why these wines are able to exist. Matias is quite the host and he entertained us all beautifully this evening with his wines of dry Riesling " Dona Esmeralda " and the Antiguas Cabernet Sauvignon, Finis Terrae, too. Hopefully there was something for everybody. That's the idea, simple yet so vital. Sante et hasta luego nosotros amigos. We always have a selection of the COUSINO-MACUL wines in our store. If we are out of something we will be glad to order you some. TONY

No comments: