Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Store Email Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 Written & Posted By Anthony Quinn : Andrew Stover's American ' Road Trip ' Of Wines From Around The United States!


Cleveland Park Wine Cleveland Park Beer, Liquor & Wine
Featuring a wide, international selection of fine wines, micro-brews and spirits

We ARE READY now , Are YOU?!?

I COULD TALK ABOUT  the fact that Ramaden begins this Sunday or I could be more
general. Life is so short and I am constantly reminded of this as we get into
the heat and the humidity of this summer that holds such promise. One of my
favorite parts of a conversation with any customer is asking where and if they
are getting away this summer? I get so many varied answers and some are so
positive and I just want to go along with them. Some are more challenging as in
how I should respond because often now many include people taking care of a
family member or a loved one, like Albert and Isabel, like Stephen used to do.

I ASKED ANDREW if he was really in Cahors, France and he said : " Yes, " that he
was as so many producers and  importers are anxious to get their wines available
here in fine wine stores as well as in fine restaurants and hotels, etcetera. I
told Andrew just now : " I must be in the wrong business!?! You are always
traveling and I am always left here behind! I am not happy with you Andrew " I
said. Oh well, I guess that I just need to get a wholesaler job again so that I
may travel like he does, as a wholesaler and sometimes as a broker.

JUST THIS WEEKEND FERNANDO was telling me how much he liked the CEDRE Heritage
Malbec, Cahors 2011, $15.99, 13% alcohol by volume, from Vire in France's Lot
region just south of Bordeaux on the Atlantic coast almost, home of France's
great stew that is such wonderful ' comfort food ' called cassoulet. Any of you
know it, any of you enjoyed it, any of you had it at Lavandou Provencale
restaurant in the past? I have and I did , and I love both Cahors and cassoulet.
Chill this CEDRE HERITAGE slightly and enjoy it with something steaming-hot off
your grill. What a treat. I have also visited Cahors the town and the region and
loved it years ago.

I WAS WINED AND DINED Andrew by the two Rigal brothers back in the mid eighties.
What a wonderful treat that was. I went with my good friend Philippe the mayor
and also the owner and the chef of the restaurant LA PETITE RIGAUDIE in the
center of Cahors. We were well-received and tasted and had lunch there and were
the first to bring the wine, to import it to this area to the Mayflower Wines &
Spirits? Yes, I think that is all correct.

BUT I WOULD HAVE LOVED to have been on the Pont de Cahors with you Andrew, the
great time we could have had, what an experience. Loved the pictures you posted
Andrew. Thanks for sharing them.
NEWS FLASH : Our good customers Lisa and Rick were just here will I was speaking
with Dan Terrasa of William Harrison Imports and giving him an order for July of
many fine French wines  ( and our first-organic Argentine Malbec that I
recommend when not recommending Cahors , the ALPAMANTA 2010, $14.99 a bottle,
13.5% alcohol by volume, from Mendoza, Argentina, that is bright and rich and
really fruit-forward-complete-balanced Malbec-so-fine-too ).

Lisa HAD A BOTTLE of the 2012 Pinot Gris FORIS Rogue Valley, Oregon, $16.99,
13.9% alcohol by volume, that they just recently used two cases for their
wedding in Ogallala, Nebraska where Lisa is from : Rick is from Oregon. See the
connection? ANYWAY, I started asking many questions like : " And they were able
to get the wine for you there? " Lisa and Rick both smiled.

LISA SAID  : " My sister got it for me from where she lives across the state.
It's five hour's away from Ogallala. It was the closest that we could have it
shipped for us and since she lived by the distributor she could pick it up at a
local shop there.

I LOVE THIS  kind of story : this is real life! Love it!! I had originally
recommended it to them when they came in search of an Oregon wine for their
wedding. They tried it that night and Rick just told me they immediately said :
" No need to look any further." Gotta love that, too! I certainly do. As the
stories finished that I read years ago to my kids on the " Pound Puppies " : '
And another job well done by the pound puppies... " WOW: LIFE IS SO VERY
unpredictable. Regis Scheithauer of Roanoke Imports just stopped by. He has sold
me these FORIS wines like the Moscato, Pinot Noir, Gewurztraminer ( all in stock
here ) that we sell regularly and have fans for all of them.

I SHARED THIS STORY  with him just now and he smiled and said : " They make some
good wines. " They certainly do Regis. It was when you visited with the rep from
FORIS the last time and I tasted five or so that I fell in love completely with
this 2012 Pinot Gris declaring that it was my favorite of the tasting. I told
her and Regis several times, and I believe it is perfect for drinking now and
this hot weather, with or without a meal. Cheers Regis, and thanks for all the
great service, time, energy, sample bottles that you have given us over the
years here. It's been a pleasure and an honor to work with you so well and so
closely introducing so many wonderful wines over the years here to our
customers. Cheers!

I JUST SAW KAREN here of ' Karen and Craig ' that needed some sake and it was
nice to catch up with her and discuss our families and the neighborhood , and ,
' the most important thing, a lasting relationship ' : I agree Karen. I hope
that the HAKUTSURO sake, $13.99 works well for your recipe. Let me know.

OOPS, this store email is also about BEER, CIDER, LIQUEUR and LIQUOR, what am I
doing??!?

BEER FROM SANTOS :

1) Overcast  ' Expresso Stout ' from the OAKSHIRE Brewing Company - craftmanship
defined, oatmeal stout ( On Special for $11.99 a 6-pack of 12-ounce cans, 5.8%
alcohol by volume, from Eugene, Oregon ) : I still not have sampled them but it
looks like something that I might really like Santos? When are we doing an
in-store beer-tasting of them? Let me know. Cheers.

2) ' Quadro Triticale ' a Belgina-style quadrupel ale from STONE Stochasticity
Project ' brewed with triticale grain ( On Special for $9.99 a 1 Pt. 6 FL. Oz.
bottle , 9.3% alcohol by volume, San Diego County, CA. go to :
www.Stochasticity.com for more info ) : using Belgian yeast / Ardennes strain,
and some dark Candi sugar with Pilsner malt & flaked Triticale ... sounds really
bold and flavorful, more for a meal?

3) Cuvee Van De Keizer , a Belgian Ale from GOUDEN CAROLUS , Jaargang 2013, ( On
Special for $12.99 a 1 Pt. 9.4Fl. Oz bottle, 11 % alcohol by volume, product of
Belgium ) : label in gold and black and so much written on it you have to come
and read and believe for yourselves! May be way too strong for me, but ' just
right ' for many of you, that's what I think.

LIQUEUR - LIQUOR From Malkit & Jagir :

1) Premium Orangecello Orange Liqueur from GIOLA LUISA ( $24.99 a 750ml bottle,
30% alcohol by volume, from Sorrento, Italy ) : " new and exciting " and what we
will be trying I believe here this Friday night with the cream and the
limoncello on June 27th, 2014 from 5-8PM? And did I hear right that Feliciano
the distiller/maker will be here tasting this himself? Go to :
www.golimoncello.com  for more info and try some of the recipes they recommend
there.

2) 100% Grain Neutral Spirit Oude Fine Old Genever from BOOMSMA  ( $24.99 a
750ml bottle, 40% alcohol by volume, from Leewarden, since 1883, from Holland )
: another style worth trying!

3) Small Batch Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey from BERNHEIM Original ( $32.99,
45% alcohol by volume, ... ) ... an ' original ' - something to try perhaps for
the very first time.
Cleveland Park Wine & Spirits
June 24th, 2014
SAVE TONIGHT & TOMORROW :

TUESDAYS :

1) BUY ANY sparkling wine bottle over $20 a bottle and SAVE 15% OFF the
marked sticker price ( except for VEUVE CLICQUOT ).
2) Mix six or more bottles and save 10% OFF the marked sticker prices.
3) BUY 12 or more bottles of sparkling or still wine and SAVE 15% OFF the
marked sticker prices.
Includes Port, Sherry, Marsala, Madeira, Sake.

WEDNESDAYS :

1) BUY ANY Still Wine over $20 a bottle and SAVE 20% OFF the marked
sticker prices.
2) BUY SIX or MORE bottles of still ( non-sparkling wine ) and SAVE 15%
OFF the marked sticker prices.
3) BUY TWELVE OR MORE non-sparkling wines and SAVE 20% OFF the marked
sticker prices.
INCLUDED are Port, Sherry, Madeira, Marsala and Sake.
MIX THINGS UP. Have fun, get more of what you want this way. spread out
your experiences, too.

SAVE , SAVE, SAVE MORE @ CP WINES!

WINE : So little time left so I will list My FAVES here :

1) Rosso from Gabrielle Rausse a blend of Sangiovese and Barbera that's
perfect for summer drinking, $14.99 a bottle!

2) ' Bellunom " sweet Cabernet Sauvignon from PODIUM is On Special for
$7.99 a will please many that are just starting to drink wine, great butterflies
on the whole bottle surface, too that also look like flowers in bloom ...

3) 1000 Veneto liters of dry Italian Riesling, $13.99 a bottle - what fine
white for now!

4) Provence dry rose from France from MARIVAL , $27.99 that is delicately
delicious! So fine, so elegantly elevated and silky and undulates so nicely on
one's palate ...

WEEK'S TASTINGS :

Friday, June 27th, 2014 ( 5-8PM ) : We have Enrico coming here to taste
some of his FABulous Italian
artisinal-family-country-mom-&-pop-grandfathers-that-can-still-walk-and-tend-the
-vines wineries from Veneto and all around Italy! We will taste the Durello
2008, $22.99,  dry Veneto white, 13% alcohol by volume  from Sandro De Bruno for
example!

ALSO : our Limoncello GIOLA LUISA tasting here from 5-8PM mentioned above!
JOIN US, NEVER any charge, ever!

Saturday, June 28th, 2014 ( 2-6PM ) : VINO50states&selecrtions ' Road Trip
' with Andrew Stover that includes wines from Arizona, Michigan, Idaho, New
Mexico, New York, Missouri, Virginia possibly and , ... you never know, we might
surprise you ... Andrew Stover will pour.

THANKS for everything, lots happening here, too much to tell. We are working on
a new web page and that's very exciting, waiting for the proofs to see where we
stand.

FOLLOW US on Twitter at : cpwinespirits, and LIKE us on Facebook at : Cleveland
Park Wine & Spirits.

CHEERS ALL, thanks again...   TONY

No comments: