Sunday, June 21, 2009

There's Nothing Like Trying The Grapes First-Hand Right Off The Vines! March 15th, 2009? Curly's Grapes, South Africa

I hope that you enjoy these pictures that I took with my new Canon camera. I was just getting to learn how to use it and unfortunately ( or fortunately as it may be ) I set the camera on another color scheme of pinks, reds and silvers, whites and grays. This makes all the pictures more stark and more intense as a result. There is no softness or kindness : just brutal honesty in them. The colors give the pictures almost a bloody, horror-like edge that is both repulsive and fascinating ( we are drawn to look even though we want to pull away and run like mad away! ) : and I am both pleased to have them as well as wishing that I also had them through the normal colors, too. Oh well, it is what it is ...



This is the normal transition in which I took these pictures from start to finish as first I walked down the rows of vines before deciding on which to take a closer look at.




Once that I began to get a closer look at the ones that caught my attention my mind started to have various ideas about what and how to film these vines and their precious cargo of almost-ready-grapes-to-be-picked ...




One thing led to another and I became bolder and bolder and more caught-up in the moment as inhibitions were left behind, I relaxed more and took more daring pictures ...




I like recording moments and as I do it I like to tell a story with them that starts, has a middle and some end, too ... mine, all mine!




It takes these grapes to make the wines that we have been selling at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) that we buy from Boutique Vineyard Selections ( John & Theresa Morrison ).




I just had to pick one and taste it ...




I held it in my fingers and then between my teeth ...




I had to taste one now : the impulse was too strong not to taste one ...




It looks like I am smelling this grape in the picture above.

The picture below looks as if I am modeling it for everyone to see and admire and appreciate : as well as be envious and wish that they had one just like me in their mouths ...




More smelling and modeling ...




Why not make it one big happy party and family and model three at one time? I should have more of a taste-explosion this way once that I crunch into these three grapes. Right?!?




I had to take more pictures of these three grapes held tenderly/firmly between my teeth to ensure that at least one of them turned out well. They all are pretty good, really ...




But you can never be sure and thus you must take more than one or two pictures to be certain ...




I'm standing up now with the sun behind me. I'm still wearing or modeling these grapes ...

I'm having a blast here, don't kid yourselves ... this was fun and instantaneous for me.




The picture here of wineamker Rolf of BLAAUWKLIPPEN I added here by accident. These are Curly's grapes, not Rolf's ... Oops ...




I had what looks like the brilliant idea here to add the grape leaves still on the vine to this last picture : it provides setting, grape variety perhaps and color, texture and more of the story. Do you agree?




This was a great trip that John Morrison and I took to the wine country in South Africa and here are some of the pictures that I took of myself laying on the ground directly under some red grapes that Curly was growing to make his excellent wine. They are rather irreverant, silly, comical pictures that I took that reveal me in all my glory, stupidity, frankness, grossness, humanness : I hope you enjoy them. Cheers, TONY

P.S. It's now Father's Day here at home in northern Virginia at 11:33 PM on Sunday evening, June 21st, 2009 ... I've had a great Father's Day and went with both my children to the National Gallery of Art erlier to see the exhibit of etching of William Stanley Hayter and his Atelier 17 where I worked and etched and made prints in the years 1977-78. After that I went to work as the manager at Joelle Serve's atelier 54 was it? By being a manager I did not have to pay and could print for free ... nice, really nice.

Enjoy these artsy pictures I took as John Morrison was off somewhere else close-by I hope enjoying himself as much as I was ...

No comments: