Saturday, May 8, 2010

Owner Bernard Bouvier Of RENE BOUVIER Burgundy Tastes @ Cleveland Park Saturday, April 24th, 2010 ( 3-7 PM ) Avec CHARLES ORBAN, CH. LES ARROWMANS Et

CHRISTIAN LAUVERJAT - Jean-Remy, Joel Et Cendrine Duffau, Et Christian : Quel Equipe Magnifique! " the headline should finish ...


This was a really nice time to get to know Bernard Bouvier the owner and wine-maker of DOMAINE RENE BOUVIER wines ( viticulteur/grower a Gevrey-Chambertin ) as I had already met him 2 years ago when I went to the Elite Selections portfolio wine-tasting at their warehouses in Lorton, northern Virginia. I met and tasted with him at that point I believe and bought some of his wines for our shelves that arrived soon after the tasting. I really liked then as I did recently the style and the brightness and the staying-true to the grape being front and center always in their wines. I never lost sight of the grape and it's authentic fruit flavors and so I had to have some then as I have now at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 ) where i have now managed the wine department for the last 10 years.




I love these photos of Bernard through the wine glass. They bring out some other elements of him and his personality I believe and they make for interesting photos no matter what. The curve of the wine glass changes things slightly and sometimes quite a bit. Being an artist I am interested in these sorts of things as much as I am in how the wines change in the glass over time and as they rest on my palate before I swallow.




We had a good crowd turn out for this Saturday tasting on April 24th, 2010 ( 3-7 PM ) here in Cleveland Park, Washington D.C. N.W. I think that they four wine-makers/owners were very happy with our in-store/wine-tasting and Lisa Giufre our great rep for Elite Selections tells me that they did and that they spoke of it after the tasting.




Bernard Bouvier poured his four burgundies and I will start by speaking about the dry white 2007 Marsannay " Le Clos " Monopole that really had lots of body and character and presence. I loved it : it was probably my very favorite of the bunch tasted here because it had the most visible character that I could actually taste as well as being the readiest to drink in my opinion. It drew me to it immediately.




The simple 2007 " Le Chapitre " village Bourgogne rouge/ red burgundy ( around $25 ) was also quite ready to enjoy and very elegant and polished, bright and shiny. I liked it. It simply was not as profound or flavorful as the Marsannay 2007 and that is understandable. I would be happy, however : honored even, to have and to serve both now to my family, friends, neighbors and wine aficionados.




I enjoyed very much the 2007 Cotes De Nuits-Villages ( $41.49 ) and even though it was still quite young ( needing perhaps another 2-4 years to reach maturity? ) I liked it's focus and framework and grip and character : as much as of it that is that I could taste and wrap my tongue around. It would need food now to help flesh it out even more as there are still young tannins with grip and density that becomes hard to penetrate yet.




The last red was the 2007 " La Justice : Gevrey-Chambertin and it had polish and finesse, brightness/tightness - flavors and flesh that with higher levels of acidity that made the toasty berry-dark cherry flavors seem a bit out of focus and tart and still needing time to solidify and flower more on the palate and reveal more of it's center core. Very drinkable now but being still tightly-wound and a bit blurred it would be a crime to drink now at this price. Wait and be rewarded as it gives up more quickly and willingly of it's many still largely unformed/undeveloped / hidden nuances of flavors, character, divine bumps and brushes, grand grinds that are now generous grins and silky spins... get the picture? Don't be in a rush with it as it will reward you when it grows into it's full self and knows how to do everything better and with more polish, gravitas and grace.




The wines of Bernard are really exciting and vibrant ans worth searching for here at our store or elsewhere as they are ones to enjoy now and ones to keep for later enjoyment that are reasonably-priced accounting for the fact of the weak dollar when they were purchased. You need to discover them ASAP.




One of the great moments of levity was when there was a slight lull in business and both Bernard and Jean-Remy started to dance to one of the Bee Gee's early hits that was playing on our radio. At this point both Frenchmen were completely relaxed and enjoying the experience of being at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. Bernard that was definitely showing signs of jet-lag really brightened up and smiled and was dancing when Jean-Remy ( of CHARLES ORBAN champagne - he was pouring his two bubblies up front with Christian Lauverjat of CHRISTIAN LAUVERJAT, Sancerre, Loire Valley ) started to dance, too. I asked them in French as I filmed them with my Canon camera to sing and so they both began to sing the refrain of the song. This was fun: this was spontaneous and at this point this was wonderful and everyone soaked it all in that was witness to these few brief moments here in time at Cleveland Park. I can't wait to see the small video that I took with sound.




Merci Bernard et a la prochaine Merci aussi Joel et Cendrine ( CHATEAU LES ARROMANS Bordeaux ), Jean-Remy ( CHARLES ORBAN Champagne ) et Christian Lauverjat ( CHRISTIAN LAUVERJAT Sancerre ). Revenez-nous voir bientot. Vous-etes toujours binevenues chez nous - n'emporta quand ... TONY




In this picture above Bernard is with Cendrine.








Bernard through my Reidel wine-tasting glass above ; and below Bernard pouring for one of our regular customers. Cheers et a bientot ...




I could use a glass for the weekend of the Marsannay " Le Clos " 2007 dry white Monopole burgundy. That would be just grand to celebrate this Memorial Day weekend that is upon us today, May 29th, 2010. Cheers as I go off to sell more of Bernard's wines at the store as well as those of these three other French wineries - all from Laurent Givry's exciting selection of French wines of Elite Imports. Merci Laurent, merci Lisa ...

No comments: