Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Jim Hutton Of Vias Imports Brought Us The Wine Owner Of CANTELE in Puglia, Italy To Taste The Three " New " Vintages : Two Reds & One White







     Jim Hutton and wine owner of CANTELE winery in Puglia, Italy taste us on the three selections currently available through VIAS imports and the Henry Wine Group ( now Country Vintners ) : the Salento 2006 Chardonnay ( $13.99 ), the 2005 Salento Primitivo red ( $14.49 ) and the 2002 Salice Salentino Riserva ( $14.99 ). We bought some of all three as the quality level was and still is superb! ) It's always great to finally put a wine or two with a face and have the wine owner/ maker here looking at me as he or she pours their wines!

     I will have to find my information about this visit and include it shortly. It was either in late 2005 or early 2006 I think.

      I've been cleaning the office space where I work here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, Tel : 202-363-4265  sales@clevelandparkwine.com  www.clevelandparkwine.com ) around this period just before inauguration on Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 ( it's Friday noon here at the store now on January 16th, 2009 ) and I am trying to balance work with this blogging and the sharing of these pictures I take with the information and stories that I would like to include, too. It's all quite the challenge.

     As I was cleaning I found the beautiful color brochure from CANTELE and so I have that here before me as I type and I will be able to include now the contact information : www.cantele.it   cantele@cantele.it   Tel  +39 0832 705010   Via V. Balsamo , 13- 73100 Lecce ).

     I have known Jim Hutton now it seems like forever. Our paths have crossed repeatedly here in Washington D.C. over the years. I remember Jim I think even before his working at the Four Ways. I loved the couple of times I dined there and the time, too that we all gathered with Bob Parker to try some " new " French wines. Don't ask me details, it's been much too long. But Jim you were there.

     Since Jim has started working for Vias Imports we have received excellent service and even though Jim is not responsible specifically for our account I still get cards and letters with updates, both of which I appreciate greatly. Thanks Jim.

     I have also really enjoyed the wine owner/ maker visits as well as the times you have invited me to leave the store to taste and sample the " new " releases at lunch at the Two Amys. I remember specifically trying at least two CANTELE wines at that luncheon where we sat in the back right corner with the bar close and attentive service that just kept bringing us one " goodie " after the other as you served one great, classic, great example after the other that represents to a " t " that Italian  area, viticulture, climate, etcetera.

     We even got a tour into the basement at the Two Amys to see the cured hams hanging from the basement ceiling, aging further and getting to that period where it is sufficiently cured and " just right " to be served to the impatient, eager clients above! This is all good.

     So, this is just the start to a blog that I will add to as I remember stories that I would like to share with you all. I will also undoubtedly be taking more pictures ( and now short video segments, too ) as Jim and Deena DiMasi Miskiel our current rep for Vias ( www.viaswine.com ).

     Cheers Jim and Happy New Year 2009 to you and to Dee and I look forward to our next visit.   TONY

     You might want to check the blog that I just put out on Joe Manekin and see those pictures of Jim Hutton, Joe and the export manager from BISOL prosecco, too.

No comments: