Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Italian Winemaker Luca Paschina Of BARBOURSVILLE Vineyards ( Charlottesville, VA ) Stops By With Rep Jason To Say " Hello " And Sign Some Bottles








Here are some pictures I took of Luca Paschina's visit here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com Tel : 202-363-4265 ). Our BARBOURSVILLE rep Jason Tesauro ( Jason@BarboursvilleWine.com (434) 531-3761 and I had been talking about my meeting Luca sometime soon either at the winery or at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits.

I believe that Jason had invited me to a tasting or a luncheon that I could not attend and so he kindly brought Luca around afterwards. Thanks Jason. It's funny, it is now Friday, January 18th, 2009 and I have been cleaning my office space at the store. I came across am beautiful invitation in the form of an octagon that had been sent to me asking me to come to lunch at BARBOURSVILLE ( the Palladio restaurant ) on either Monday, March 13th, 2004 or Tuesday, March 14th, 2004. I am sorry to say that I did not attend. It was a luncheon and tour of the anciet grounds and winery with a vertical of the first seven vintages of BARBOURSVILLE'S Octagon.

I must have had something really important to do on that Monday my day-off to not have attended! Either that or I was simply insane or mad at the moment. Oh well, Jason and Luca : how was it? What gems do you have to impart and share with me now five years later about this wonderful chance of a lifetime? Catch me up to speed and please invite me again. I am truly sorry that I missed this Monday luncheon.

Jason has placed some wines here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and I am happy to say that I had some bottles on hand conveniently for Luca to sign them for our customers. We have sold a variety of the wines including the Octagon and the Pinot Grigio, Viognier, the sweet Malvasia, the Chardonnay and the sparkling to name just the few that come immediately to mind.

We have some of the excellent " Phileo " ( there are three ways to say love in Greek , phileo means love for friends and special things. ) A long and cool fermentation is the secret behind the wine's effusively fragrant aromas, floral complexity and luscious sweetness. Great and best with desserts.

It's time to give the wines another try Jason. If you read this please call me at 202-363-4265 and let's arrange another tasting of current vintages. That would please me greatly, really.

My experience with the wines in the past is that they are really elegant, bright, well-made wines that really please and charm. I personally would like to see a bit more edge to them, a more pronounced quality that sinks or flies high and does not rest so nicely in that middle range of comfort and immediate pleasure. This is just my point-of-view of course. I know that the wines as they are sell really well and that often our customers that have tried them have nothing but praise.

Anyway, I'd like to see what they are tasting like now and to hopefully get to Charlottesville sometime soon to actually visit the winery. Jason, you have always invited me and I think it is time that to make my visit there a reality really soon. Especially now that my daughter is in Charlottesville at U.V.A. and in her fourth year.

I am sorry that I do not have the good pictures of you here Jason as you always dress really well and represent so well BARBOURSVILLE. Actually, I take that back Jason, there is a nice shot of you beyong Luca with your nice hat and vest - snappy. It's a good profile of you. We will include more later as I can scan them onto my computer as they were taken without a digital camera.

I look forward to our next visit with hopefully you again Luca as well as you Jason. Luca, we can talk about Piemonte, Italy while we are enjoying your wines. I think I got some nice shots of you in our store Luca. Was it 2006 I believe? I will find my notes really soon and include them and the exact dates of your visit as you both signed our/ my store winemaker/owner poster as well as our/ my guest book.

It's just a few days before the inaugural here in our nation's capitol and so I may not get to the rest of this blog until after the 20th of January, 2009. In the meantime enjoy this story and the pictures.

Go to for more technical infprmation : P.O. Box 136, Route 777, Barboursville, Virginia, 22923 Tel : (540) 832-3824 Fax : ( 540 ) 832- 7572.

Cheers and Enjoy. TONY

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tony,
Tesauro here. Thanks for the post. Let's talk shop...I'd love to have you down to the winery for a revisit of Octagon and such.

Happy oh nine.
jason