Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Esther Pinuaga Of PINUAGA, Toledo, Spain Tues. April 13th, 2010



I have delayed much too long to write this review of Esther Pinuaga's Spanish wines of PINUAGA ( N-301 Km 95,500, Corral de Almaguer, Toledo, Spain, www.bodegaspinuaga.com ) from around the area of Toledo, La Mancha. I liked them enough to buy them and put two of them on our shelves at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ).


I did tell Esther that I found them to be just on the edge of being too commercial for me and together with my taking so many pictures quickly of her I think that this all quite discombobulated here. Oh well, I meant no harm Esther : I was playing the devil's advocate to some point and putting things out there and waiting for your responses?

I remember the older bottles that I used to drink of these La Mancha wines and they were earthier, grittier and sometimes with more robust, rustic bursts of alcohol and ripe fruit. It depended on the year and the blend of grapes and I liked them quite well : especially when served with a meal. So, when I tasted these wines of Esther's I found them a bit more cleaned-up, so-to-speak and that bothered me instantly. I like change but always say if " it's not broke don't fix it". I do understand the problems today to stay alive, pay one's bills and continue to stay in business. This demand to produce a more international style of wine-making is really destroying a lot of the individuality and typiticity of place and origin that once existed. I groan at this current direction that many are forced to go in.

Don't get me wrong : Esther and her family are making really good wine and they are concerned to keep it regional and from where it is grown and produced by them. I think that is whey she reacted so strongly to what I said and perhaps I said it all too quickly and without enough information on my part. I admit I might not have enough to back up what I said : but my gut reaction was one that told me that I was drinking cleaner, brighter, friendlier dry reds here made principally from the Tempranillo grape but for me with the edge given to the modern style of wine-making and not the traditional one. As I say, it's just my opinion and I am ready to taste again to see if I change my views.




Esther, you did respond to all that I said quickly and we did have a dialogue going back and forth as you defended your wines and spoke about the region and the culture and all of this with a deep sense of pride and place that I admired very much. I am sorry that I gave you such a hard time : I do that once in awhile.

Look at that beautiful red color in the picture above. Lovely. It's like a moon crescent shape and I liked these pictures so much that I have done a separate pictorial blog on them at : chatart.blogspot.com that you may see after reading this.

I am an artist and so many of the pictures I take are with an artist's eye to capturing interesting and original angles and shots, textures, colors, contrasts, etcetera. My other goal is to capture with pictures and words more of the special moments that I spend in the company of these owners and wine-makers as it may be the only time ever that our paths cross and I want to have something to remember more of the moment.

Funny, my Canon digital camera has really helped me to capture split seconds and angles and perspectives that I did not realize or really see and which I am now able to better appreciate and share with you all, too. It's a win-wine situation for me any way that I see it.






I bought the two less expensive reds that you poured for me on this day : the " PINUAGA " Nature " Tempranillo 2007 and the one with the shoes on it ( they also look like unpeeled peanuts to me ) 2008 called " Senda " of a dry blend of Merlot and Tempranillo. I thought that the " Senda " blend was the easiest to drink at the moment with the heat of that Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 in Cleveland Park N.W. It was my favorite because of this. I also liked the 2007 " Nature " as this Tempranillo had more weight and more compact and denser flavors with good acids and with food I think it will shine. The 2008 " Senda " blend may be enjoyed with or without food and I could easily see a simple plate of tapas by it's side sitting outside in the warmth of the day, the wine slightly chilled and feeling good about life and oneself sipping the wine leisurely. Bravo.

I also want to mention that each label has an image on it that brings it right back to the wine's place of origin and I like that. Esther told me about all of the three images and perhaps Esther when you read and see this that in the " comment " section at the end of this blog you will write what each image is and how it relates to these wines and their place of origin? That would be nice and I am sure that everyone would enjoy reading what you add.







As you will see I have taken lots of artsy photos here of wine, color of wine, wine bottle, Reidel wine-tasting glass and of Esther as well. I loved what she was wearing, her bright, smiling eyes and face as well as her rings, scarves, sweater : captivating and also I guess very much typical of Spain now and the style there? I liked it all. It made me feel as I was peering into another slice of life in another world that I really do not know but would like to know better. Perhaps Esther you will show me more of this world of yours someday? I would like that.









I always have to take my pictures of both wine and wine labels/ bottles and people through my Reidel wine-tasting glass. It's my signature and I hope that you like them.




Look at the beautiful garnet red and bright colors of the wine in both pictures here.






I liked Esther's ring and so had to have at least one photo of it if not more.




I did not buy this third wine pictured above as it was still young to me and needing more time as well as more expensive. I will consider buying it in September/October 2010 when things get colder once again and it is even more developed and ready to drink by then? Remind me Esther.







Love this picture above with the crescent red color of wine with the delicate splash of baby blue color below. Makes me want to drink some right now!





Now Esther is finally getting more into the swing of all these mad and crazy and split-second and hopefully fun pictures that I was taking. I like this photo above of you Esther : hope you like it, too.





Love the many earth-tone colors at the bottom of your beautiful hand-knit scarf here Esther along with the jeans and the boots and the wavy, cascading brown hair of yours. You were speaking both here with your hands and eyes as you directed a lot of the conversation to my rep Mark Conglon. You mostly spoke to him during most of the time spent together. Though I found that a bit odd at the time it did give me more time and freedom to taste and to snap photos away as I certainly was enjoying doing here.




Love that splash of small red wine color in the darkened/ moody picture above with the bright ceiling lights. Great atmosphere.



















Love this picture of you writing in my guest book and signing my wine-poster. I love the buttons on the sleeves of your cotton shirt/blouse here Esther. I don't see that very often and I loved it here. Thanks.






Cheers Esther e hasta luego. Gracias para todos esta dia a Washington D.C. a nosotros tienda des vinos. TONY





Esther Pinuaga of PINUAGA, Toledo, Spain 4/13/10

No comments: