Friday, January 7, 2011

LABOURE ROI Gevrey Chambertin " La Futaille " 2006 Enjoyed @ My Home First Week Of January 2011 : Cheers, Thanks Claire Rambeau!


Our then wine rep from LABOURE-ROI ( BRand Ambassador , Maison Fondee en 1832 ) sold me these bottles of the 2006 vintage of red Burgundies : the Gevrey Chambertin " La Futaille " ( $62.99 ) and the Pommard " Le Taillefer " 2006 ( $62.99 ).

This past Christmas 2010 I decided to take a bottle home of the Gevrey Chambertin 2006 to enjoy with our Christmas meal. Unfortunately the first bottle was corked and so I returned it to my wine store Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and exchanged it for another bottle of the same wine. I opened this this past weekend at home ( I had three glorious days off in a row - that never, ever happens! ) and it was drinking much better but still way to young to fully enjoy : I should have waited another 3-5 years to dive head-first into this elegant and charming dry red that was quite silky and yet it was still from my point-of-view way to tight to allow both me and my palate to explore the various areas inside it. Too bad, I feel like I got about a fourth of what the wine will eventually reveal. It's so persuasive and charming and balanced now and it fooled me at first into believing that it was ready to drink. Both my wife and my daughter liked it anyway and so I did not say anything, just made these mental notes to myself.

We still have a few of the bottles for sale at the store. Come by and pick one or more bottles up and put them away for a later date to fully enjoy as they unravel their charms and dazzle us with their vision and their versatility-agility and wonders of unfolding flavors.

I enjoyed the Gevrey Chamberton LABOUR-ROI in the wonderful Lalique glasses that my mother collected while we lived in Paris, France in the 1970's while my father first served as the Counselor for Visas and the Passports and then again for Visas. I was able to live there and of course I fell in love with Paris and with France and it has remained strong and thriving with me ever since. Quelle belle epoque - dix ans fabuleux! How I grew and benefited from these great ten years there off-and-on in Paris, France. The glasses, too from Lalique are stunning and we use them for special occasions.

Cheers et merci a toi Claire . Je sais que tu habites a Paris, France maintenant et j'espere qu tout va bien pour toi et ta famille. Happy New Year! TONY



No comments: