Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bibiana Gonzalez Rave Wine-Maker Of LYNMAR, Russian River Valley , CA. Tastes 4 Wines ( 2006-7 ) Chardonnay & Pinot Noir ( W/ Quail Hill Vnyds) 7/6/10


Kay Mallon of Winebow Imports just brought me Bibiana Gonzalez Rave the Colombian wine-maker at LYNMAR ESTATE in California's Russian River Valley.

I enjoyed talking with both and sampling the four wines ( two dry Chardonnays from the Russian River Valley, 2007's both, the second a single vineyard " Quail Hill " , as well as two Pinot Noirs, one 2006 Sonoma and one Russian River Valley 2007 single vineyard " Quail Hill " ) as I both snapped these pictures quickly and then turned to my Flip video camera once that my memory card was full on my Canon digital camera.

Being an active artist I like to take lots of artsy photos that I believe unite all the players in the wine world scene. This is our moment/our scene - mise en scene au magasin de Cleveland Park Wines Et Spirits. It's our shared moment of fun/discovery/serendipitous surprises and pleasures. Of course I hope that everyone likes and appreciates them but ultimately I have my agenda as well to satisfy - that of a curious and willful artist that likes to shake things up and see where things settle as a result.




I enjoyed talking with both Bibiana as well as with Kay and told them that years ago I had met the then wine-maker, a man, and that we had disagreed on the drink ability of one of the Pinot Noir wines. I found the Pinot Noir tight and quite unready and he was advising people to enjoy it then and there. Oh well, just goes to show that plates are our own and quite different.




I introduced Santos Rivera to Bibiana as he passed and walked to the front of the store to talk to one of his beer/cerveza reps. This was the afternoon of the World Cup Soccer match between both Uruguay and with Holland and Holland beat Uruguay 2 to 1.

I liked three of the four wines that I tried. The only wine I did not like personally was the second single-vineyard 2007 Chardonnay. It was simply too big for me in every sense of the word. Of course given the right food I might like it under those circumstances but alone I simply would not myself enjoy drinking it. That's okay : who says that we all have to like every wine that is made? Not me.




When I met Bibiana and saw the bottles that she made and listened to her voice I asked her to explain her involvement with LYNMAR ESTATE? She smiled and did so quite quickly. She said that she had spent seven years in France working in the vineyards and doing the harvests, too. She also said that she had spent time in every major wine region except for in Loire Valley ( she said this after mentioning the Champagne district). I almost sensed that not working in the Loire Valley was more painful to her than not having worked in the Champagne region? Am I correct Bibiana in assuming this?




However, after having mentioned working in France for seven years I immediately broke her train of conversation when I asked her in French : " Vous parlez Francais? " I think she responded something like : " Bien sur " quickly.




The rest of our conversation lapsed from French to English and I kept wondering about all her years working in France and now coming to work in California's Russian River Valley? I asked her what she had brought with her from France and how it affected the way that she made the wines there? She was quite diplomatic in her responses and I appreciated that but I would have loved to have heard more. I would especially have liked to have heard how what she learned in France had changed her as a wine-maker? What views does she now hold of wine-making and what she wants to accomplish personally with her wine-making? That will have to wait until our next visit.




When I pulled out my " new " Flip camera and showed it to Kay she was quite excited as I said that I would be shooting " raw " footage and that I would be posting it " raw " too. I said this with a big smile and lots of enthusiasm and some mischief in my eyes, smile and voice.

Bibiana asked me if she was the first for me to record with my " new " Flip video camera? I said : " no ", that there had already been three or four before her but none as " linda " as she. Es verdad senorita Bibiana ; c'est vrai mademoiselle Bibiana, pas si jolie que toi ".




As I tasted and I thought about this beautiful and young and passionate ( poised and personable, too ) beautiful young Colombian spending already seven years in France and now some at LYNMAR ESTATE in Sonoma I began to wonder what the experience there was like for her? I thought of the difference in languages and also that many if not all of those that work in the vineyards are Mexican and Spanish-speaking that this would make it very east for her to communicate her wishes and plans? She seemed to second this notion and immediately added that the cooperation and assistance that passed between those in the vineyards and in the cellars was key and paramount to the eventual success of any winery. I can easily see that. She spoke with pride and admiration/fervor almost for this bond that existed between them all ; that she was proud and honored to be a part of this larger whole. I liked all of this, her honest and heart-felt responses to my questions and queries.




Here Bibiana is tasting me on the first of the two Chardonnays I believe? I snapped these pictures in quick succession and am happy with them and all the others. I may add the video that I took really soon. I will watch and listen to it tomorrow and see what I have?

I will fill-in the details that I am missing as I am home now on Tuesday evening here in northern Virginia at 11:35 PM on July 6th, 2010. I don't have my paper work here but I do want to post this tomorrow as I am trying to stay current and catch up with the twenty-five or so that are in their " draft " forms here and awaiting some comments. stories and text - as well as some factual info, too.

I still have more photos to download tomorrow as well. It's a long and rewarding process and I am trying to post one blog a day if possible. I do love this most-trying challenge that I have set for myself.




I purchased some of both the first Chardonnay 2007 ( $32.99 ) and the first 2006 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir ( On Sale for $32.99 ) to come to Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) after July 15th, 2010. It will be nice to have them to sell our customers as they are very well-made ,balanced wines that will please and complement many a meal. I liked their focus and their personalities that were multi-layered and intriguing, too. Bravo Bibiana ...

The single vineyard " Quail Hill " 2007 Pinot Noir I found richer and more highly extracted with more flesh but I also felt that I had less room to get myself and all my senses into to the flavors of the wine and extend myself fully within it. In the colder weather I will probably change somewhat my impression, but with this intense July heat on this day I clearly preferred the 2006 with one more year of age and what I perceived to be many more highs and lows which I love in my wines.

I don't mind having to work and contribute my part to their full enjoyment. Rather, I feel a bit cheated when I have to work less as if I already earned the privilege of working less for my full enjoyment. Oh well, I also thought that for almost half the price I would rather have two bottles of the 2006 than the 2007 because we will soon have the 2006 ON SALE for $32.99 a bottle.

I am sure I will write more so stay-tuned. Enjoy these pictures for the meantime.



Gracias Kay e Bibiana. Hast luego et bonne continuation a vous deux. TONY

P.S. I just posted 2 Miercoles Morning Poems that I wrote minutes ago inspired by my meeting of Bibiana yesterday. It's now 11:07 AM on July 7th, 2010 and time for me to drive to work. The poems are here at : chatpoetry.blogspot.com. Just scroll down on the home page to where it says : View Complete Profile, click that and scroll down until you see the blog for chatpoetry and click that on to read these two poems. Cheers, TONY

No comments: