Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Owners Rick & Diane Du Nah Of Du Nah Vineyard & Winery Taste 3 Wines Feb. 24th, 2010 @ Cleveland Park Wines/ Jody & Matt Here, Too



Sometimes it's like on big party at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits as I invite everyone to taste of each others products if there are more than one supplier in the store at the time. For me it should always be one big happy wine family in Cleveland Park where everything is shared and hopefully this way everything is gained, too. That's my simple philosophy.

There were in fact two Matts here in the store at the same time : Matt from Five Grapes Imports that represents DuNah Vineyard as well as Matt of Washburn Imports. We all sampled Matt's VALDIVIESO sparkling wine from Chile as a matter of fact and everyone seemed to enjoy it and think it represented a good value in sparkling wine. I remember clearly that Diane DuNah wanted to see the bottle and try and find it back in California, in Sebastopol in particular where she lives.




With Rick and Diane DuNah we sampled one Chardonnay that I found to be outstanding and two Pinot Noirs : one not available anymore ( the older one which I thought was ready to enjoy now with all it's flavors evolved and open to the palate ) and the other which was younger and not as ready to drink in my opinion. I am home now without my notes so I will have to add those in once that I am at work later today with vintages and pricing.

In the picture above Matt of Washburn samples the DuNah Chardonnay with owner Rick.




For more information on the DuNah wines go to : DuNah Vineyard & Winery Post Office Box 1380 , Sebastopol, California , 95473 Tel : 707-829-9666 Fax: 707-829-2447 www.dunahwinery.com.




Rick and Diane DuNah have hired a winemaker to make their very limited production wines ( I think two-three hundred cases of each ) and I look forward to meeting him someday as I did enjoy very much two out of the three wines here. I will talk to Chris Barker that works with us now and who sold these wines well at Dean and DeLuca. It was like a family reunion for him when they walked through our front door on February 24th, 2010. They all seemed so happy to see one another again.




Of course I got Diane and Rick to sign my poster and our guest book for a souvenir of their visit. I got a nice time to chat with Diane and I liked that and our conversation very much. In the gust book she wrote : " Tony - Great meeting you - enjoyed the photo shoot. " Diane Rick wrote : " Tony Come visit us! Good tasting with you and the crew ". Rick




Jody Jackman of Winebow Imports was also here and she sampled the wines we had as well and spoke about her time in California making wine at the SAINTSBURY Winery.




I look forward to getting out to California sometime soon. It seemed that I share a similar perspective and point-of-view on wines and wine-making with you Diane and Rick. That pleases me and it would be fun and educational to discuss that over some wine - yours - outside of the store when and where I could concentrate more on the conversation and what was being said. As it is in the store at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-36304265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) I am always glancing around and stepping away to help our customers or invite them over to meet whomever I am talking to and tasting with at the time.




Remember what I said : I like to include everyone and that means customers as well in our store : it's one big, extended happy wine family in Cleveland Park. Share, share and share some more ...




I have more pictures and will add them, too later. In the meantime enjoy this as it is knowing I will finish it soon.




Here Jody is trying one of Rick and Diane DuNah's wines and I am sure telling them about her experience out in California.

Thanks for stopping by Diane and Rick. I enjoyed meeting you both very much and tasting your excellent Chardonnay and two Pinot Noirs, too. You are making some really fine limited-production wine that is balance, flavorful, and at times inspiring/surprising and overall a treat. Cheers to you both and to your winemaker, the team at the vineyard and respecting your vines and the land and doing the very best with what you harvest each year.

No comments: