Sunday, July 20, 2008

Everyone's A Superstar We Just Don't Recognize It !





Indulge me here please. I was having a conversation the last week and with one of our customers saying basically that all we read or hear about are rock stars, actors and celebrities and chefs. Of course there are others, too : designers, politicians and an occasional artist here and there. Not much else gets mentioned are covered.

This blog is loosely designed around wine. It's not all just about wine, though. It's really about what happens through the store that I am exposed to. Sometimes it's through my own engineering and sometimes it's totally serendipitous. I want it to be a reflection of observations and reactions to experiences that happen to me in and out of the store.

I want to cover the beer and the liquor tastings as well. I want to take pictures of basically everything and everyone involved somehow, either integrally or peripherally. It's all part of the story. This blog is all about the stories, about the memories, about the pictures that capture split seconds in these stories and also about how the pictures can mean different things to different people.

I really love covering all of this. It gives me pretty much complete artistic freedom to see where it will all go/develop. I'm enjoying it so much that I almost feel guilty. Oh well, I'll just have to live with that. I find that it is really interesting to see what each of the pictures reveals. At the time that they are taken you can only anticipate so much of what a picture will hold or ultimately say at a later date. I like to incorporate a lot of things in each picture, making them as complete as possible so that they live alone and are worth enjoying all by themselves regardless of any other photos or the story that they recorded. Everything is ultimately up to personal interpretation.

As you can see in some of these pictures that they are almost abstractions of whet they are of. I love including the wines in the glasses. The wine glass can actually distort both people and settings. I love that. I love the pictures of the recent photos of the food at Lavendou through the white wine. It's golden in color and it changes both the food as does the glass distort to some extent. Look at the picture of David Pinzolo in the last blog. His face is distorted, extended, a touch bloated, all to interesting effect. I like it. I hope he does, but I cannot stop experimenting with these photos, the angles, the closeness to subject, the magnifying of wine labels and their pictures and writing using the angle of the wine glass. It's all a work in progress.

I'm thrilled to include everyone : customers, their children, the salespeople , the brokers, executives of corporations, winemakers and wine owners, people that work at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits, restaurants and the waiters, chefs, owners, etcetera. I think everyone deserves a big congratulations. It costs nothing to congratulate and to thank someone, to include them, to draw a bit of deserved attention to them and to their efforts. I have to believe that they will appreciate both the attention and the thanks. I hope they like their pictures, too. It is all meant in the best way possible.

So here to all those wonderful people that have filled my life and continue to as each day arrives and brings new and expected events and surprises. I live for that to a big degree. It's fun and exciting. I hope that you all tune-in from time to time or daily. I will work on this blog page pretty much daily. That I promise myself as well as you. It will not be static, it will be constantly evolving and morphing and growing reflecting both old and current, daily - of-this-exact-moment-almost events. I will add as many pictures as I can.

I will probably be taking many pictures of my older pictures and including them more quickly that way. They, too may be a bit distorted because of this technique. We'll see. I'll try some tomorrow and see what I get. I have found that looking at the photos enlarged on the screen reveals really cool things that become so much more alive and in many cases clearer and more revealing. Try it with some of these. Try it with the picture of Antoine Pin at Lavendou sipping his wine and with me holding mine in front of him as I snap the picture. The glasses and the reflections are really nice. In one of the glasses you can see the reflection through the front windows at Lavendou and the scenery outside. It's also true with the picture of David Pinzolo when you enlarge it. I just thought that I would share this with you all.

I was developing this blog in my head as I read this Sunday Washington Post Sunday edition paper outside on our deck earlier and then again while I was clearing our yard of fallen, brittle brown branches. It's Sunday, July 20th, 2008 at 3:18 PM as I type this up.

It sure is hot outside today! I read that tomorrow is supposed to be the hottest day each summer here in this area. We'll see. I've included three pictures that I took two years ago of a red hibiscus plant that I bought to remember the wonderful anniversary vacation my wife and I took to the Dominican Republic. I'm hoping to get more flowers next year. I've been nursing it back to health after last summer when our squirrels decided to eat both it's bark and green leaves. The prognosis looks good so far. Take care, TONY

No comments: