Thursday, January 25, 2018

My Response Today To Conversation With Joe Yonan The Food Editor Of The Washington Post , And Referencing The Article That Came Out Yesterday : " Tips from sommeliers on the best ways to help them help you pick wine ".

At the end of 2017 Joe Yonan the food editor of the Food section of the Washington Post came by and I had a chance to talk to him about consulting more the wine retailers in articles written about food and wine as they help people pick their wines all day long and constantly make recommendations to their customers that dine out less frequently than they eat in. I told Joe I often picked up our copy of the Washington Post newspaper and read a hard copy in my hands before coming to work.
I told him that it would be nice to see fine wine retailers that I call Rets ( like many people refer to Sommeliers as Somms ) consulted in the articles that appear in the Washington Post Food section.
There are many fine Rets available for consultation, and being a Ret myself, it would be nice to see some of us quoted like Mark Wessels or Tim of MacArthur Beverages, Tom McKnew at Calvert Woodley , Rick or John Genderson the owners of Schneider's on Capitol Hill, Hugo at Wide World of Wine, Doug Rosen or Shem the owners of Arrow Wines in North Arlington , Virginia, the owners of DCanter in DC, and so many others.
I was just reminded of this conversation with Joe when I read yesterday's wine article by Dave McIntyre : " Tips from sommeliers on the best ways to help you pick wine . "
We are all one vibrant beer, wine , food and spirits community , and so I mention this to better serve our community. Joe did mention that the Washington Post was one of the few newspapers in the country that listed where the wine written about were available.
Thank you for doing that Joe, it takes time and effort. Also I was impressed to see you come and get a bottle of the EVOLUCIO Blaufrankisch Austrian dry red ( we sell it here for $11.99 a bottle - have for a year of more now - fine value, great energy and flavor and balance, too ), that was then included in your : " The Greatest Value Wines of 2017 " article mentioning twelve wines ( 7 of which we have sold here even before reading about them in the Washington Post articles ) that was published on January 3rd, 2018. Cheers, come by anytime, we would love to help any of you. Thanks again..



Cleveland Park Wine & Spirits
Cleveland Park Wine & Spirits Every time I go to Doi Moi restaurant on 14th street Northwest I love everything they do and provide as I feel I get 200% effort, love and care and special attention each and every time I go, It would be wonderful to see Aaron and Sarah quoted as their recommendations to enjoy with their FABulous food from Chef Sasha have been spot-on!
 
 

No comments: