Thursday, April 11, 2013

I Was Very Inspired Reading " A Wine Region Is Defined By A Common Terrain, Not State LInes " By Dave McIntyre In Washington Post , Wed. April 10th, 2013 : BRAVO Boordy, Allegro!

I was inspired and fired-up greatly reading yesterday morning Dave McIntyre's article on : " A wine region is defined by a common terrain, not state lines ". I recommend that everyone read it ASAP. Dave's article in the Wednesday Food section of the Washington Post is called WINE Terroir beyond state lines .... For Mid-Atlantic vintners, topography defines region : and starts : " Drink local, think regional. ... Stare at a wine map of Virginia ... Add a Maryland map above that,... maybe it's time to expand our concept of local wine country. ... Allegro Winery in Brogue, PA., southeast of York, is just about as far from the White House as Barboursville Vineyards, northeast of of Charlottesville. Black Ankle Vineyards, in Mount Airy, is only a little closer to the White House than Linden Vineyards, near front Royal. Those vineyards share more than a proximity to Washington : their terroirs are influenced by the same geographical boundaries, namely the mountains to the west and the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake to the east. ... " I have to get to work now, will finish this ASAP. But read this very good article NOW. Thanks, Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn ... ... ... ... I really loved what Rob DeFord had to say and I will have to include that here. Rob is the owner of BOORDY Vineyards and he has been very creative, very bold and very tenacious to keep body, soul, grape, vine, winery and vineyard all together and active, productive and inspired. I applaud that. I applaud that he employed the talented viticulturist Lucie Morton to come and pant the best vines for him so that he could grow the best quality grapes to work with to make the best wines possible in Maryland where the vineyards are. That takes time, patience, research, lots of " hands-on " contact and experimentation to finally arrive at the best scenario possible. It's also costly and you cannot rush things. So, having said this much of all this hard work will soon be tasted and obvious and I cannot wait to try these " new " wines from " new " vines myself! ... ... I just got a nice response to my email from owner/ winemaker Carl Helrich of the ALLEGRO Winery at 3475 Sechrist Road Brogue, PA 17309 717-927-9148 ( winery ) . Thanks Carl, I look forward to meeting you and to having you come to Washington D.C. and possibly taste your wines here with our customers. ... ... I like that Dave McIntyre included you in this article of his. I remember years ago driving to your winery with my wife for a marvelous picnic and barbecue. We had a great time. Michael and Peggy Downey were there, so was Chris Smith. Chris deserves a whole lot of praise for helping get both Virginia as well as East Coast wines to where they are today. How quick we are to forget. Chris singlehandedly promoted the fabulous East Coast wines for years before anyone else, before anyone else took any notice or interest at all, with his wines chool and all : what scope and vision : bravo Chris! ... ... You might say , I do say that Chris Smith was like our " godfather " of the wines of the East Coast while Jim Stutsman is our " godfather " for all the wines of the United States, especially those that people do not, have not, did not associate with fine wine, worthy of being enjoyed and shared with family and friends anytime, anywhere, always ... cheers to bot Chris and Jim. ... ... Hope you are all the Big Event today in Maryland, the DRINK LOCAL. I am here selling wines at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits in Washington D.C., Northwest 20008 in Cleveland Park. Take good notes, share with me. ... ... ... ... Later tonight I will be making a pod-cast with a good wine-colleague , Malcolm, and that will be really special and fun and I will mention all of this. It will be posted on Monday I believe on You-Tube. You might want to check that out. I will include more soon. Cheers, TONY Saturday, April 13th, 2013 at 1:33PM .... it's beautiful today ...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words, Tony! We've been honored to have Jim Stutsman's support over the years as well. Hope to make it down there this year!

qynohtna said...

You are more than welcome Carl. I hope to make it up there sometime again myself as it has been so many years since I sat outside with my wife and Michael and Peggy Downey and Chris Smith and so many others at their picnic/grill on a weekend where so many of us were invited to come and enjoy wine, food and friends. Cheers Carl, Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn I am enjoying writing about you all these days. You deserve our attention, you really do. Tony 4/28/13 ...