Saturday, December 4, 2010

OBSIDIAN Ridge 2007 Cab. Sauv Lake County 07./ KAZMERA BLAISE Carneros P. Noir 07 / MOLNAR FAMILY Chard 07/ P. Noir Carneros 07 W/ Mark Dec. 2010



We tasted all these California wines the other day early in December 2010 with Mark Congdon our sales rep for SEIG Selections that represents many small growers / vineyards and operations in the wine business that mean very high quality and often quite reasonable prices if not even often enough great values, too. Thanks Mark for bringing so many of them to us so consistently so that we always have lots of " new " things to chose from with your portfolio to beef-up our selections at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com also on Facebook at: clevelandparkwine&spirits , too ) on a regular basis.

This tasting was no exception and I will have to wait till I get to work to comment on these various wines as I am at home now and do not have my notes before me. Many of these blog entries of mine have to be done in steps so that I at some point manage to combine all the pieces together.




I do these blogs with my artist's eyes and they are foremost supposed to be for added visual stimulation and not only written content. There's plenty written about the merits or not of any given wine but rarely do we see it's color and clarity shown so that we may also as the Lord intended enjoy it on a visual level where color and clarity, depth and viscosity-luminosity, reflections, full of sunshine or divided in shadows, shades and textures - almost all so very tactile at times making one want to put it to their lips immediately! I like all of this. Too bad that you cannot see the bouquet? That would be nice to add through pictures and images if possible.




I almost always enjoy what Mark brings me. Rarely do I criticize the quality only do I say what I would like to drink myself and for what reasons as well as give reasons for why the others I sometimes taste do not appeal to me personally in the least.




However, having said that I believe in letting you the tasters out their develop your own sense of taste and get to know your palate well enough to make your own value judgment of whether you want to drink any wine or not. That's your choice completely - or should be - as your palate is unique and your own. I should not run interference and tell you what you should want or should drink - just make suggestions based on what I have heard you say about your tastes and the foods that you may combine with the food. That's where my involvement should end - only listening and advising to suit your needs at any moment - not to preach or be didactic.

To paraphrase and take deep liberties with John Lennon's famous line : " Give wines a chance " or is that : " give peace a chance "?!? Why not both!




Look at that color above of the MOLNAR FAMILY Poseidon's Vineyard 2007 Carneros/ Napa Pinot Noir - so rich and warm and bright and filled with light that I want to dive head-first, right now into it! Oh yeah!!




With Mark we tried four California wines : 1) the MOLNAR FAMILY " Poseidon's Vineyard " 2007 CHardonnay from Carneros/ Napa, CA. , the 2) MOLNAR FAMILY " Poseidon's Vineyard " 2007 Carneros / Napa CA. Pinot Noir, the 3) KAZMER & BLAISE Carneros " Primo's Hill " 2007 CA> Pinot Noir and the 4) OBSIDIAN RIDGE Red Hills , Lake County 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Obsidian Ridge Vineyard.

As I said I will comment shortly on these when I get to work in Washington D.C. I am at home now in northern Virginia on a really cold morning at 9:23AM and about to do my morning exercises.

Happy Holidays to one and to all and a Happy New Year 2011 equally to you all! Cheers, TONY

No comments: