Saturday, December 4, 2010

December 2010 @ Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits & We Try The Current Releases From Layer Cake / Charles Krug / & The Septima Argentina Wines



It was great to taste these wines especially the LAYER CAKE ones as I had heard so much about them mostly from my customers and I was very curious to try them. I already knew the CHARLES KRUG wines from Napa, California and liked them. We carry the inexpensive line in the front of Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com also now on Facebook at : cleveland park wines & spirits ) and sell them quite well, especially the mixed red blend. Here I was tasting the 2006 Zinfandel from St. Helena, California from CHARLES KRUG and we will add one of them if not two back into our store's inventory in 2011.

I did not know what to expect with the LAYER CAKE wines and I wanted to like the Italian Puglia IGT Primitivo 2008 but did not like it as well as the other red wine because I did not think it was as balanced and I felt too much the heat of the alcohol in the wine. I know it will be immensely popular but I do not like a wine that I almost immediately start to feel and also wear the alcohol of especially on my eyebrows and temples and it presses down on them and makes me feel a bit heavy above and may give me a headache, too. Simply too much for me : give me lower alcohols and more elegance and finesse and more highs and lows in the flavor and taste ranges.

I liked better the California 2009 LAYER CAKE Cabernet Sauvignon as I thought it displayed better balance and I was not nearly as aware of the alcohol in it even though it was also high like the Italian Primitivo. They integrated it better and I applaud that. Ultimately, however I would feel it, too and also wear it as I would that of the Primitivo. Oh well, just not my style of wines in these two cases but again I see where they are immensely popular.

The Argentina SEPTIMA wines we have already carried at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and I will have to add more about them when I get to the store as I am at home now and do not have my notes handy. They sold well for us in the past.

Cheers and now that it is January 2011 we will look more closely at all of these. Cheers, TONY




Bodega SEPTIMA, LAYER CAKE Primitivo, LAYER CAKE Cabernet Sauvignon, & CHARLES KRUG Napa dry red tasted ...



No comments: