Monday, January 11, 2010

Catherine Wevar & Theresa Morrison Taste Us On " Paso Del Sol : : We Have " Altum " / TERRA MATER Shiraz, $19.99, 2005 Maipo, Chile


We had a since visit from both Theresa and Catherine with the new " value " wines of TERRA MATER called " Paso Del Sol " that come in Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon : all which when we get them will sell them for $9.99 a bottle, or maybe $8.99.



I liked the Cabernet Sauvignon and the dry white Sauvignon Blanc and am talking to importer Theresa Morrison to get some here as soon as February, 2010. That's only a couple of week's away so stay-tuned.



I may buy some of the Merlot and the Chardonnay, however to start with. We may just revisit the " Altum " series of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon as it is really cold now and some more flavorful wines might be the better ticket now.



I love this composition above for the details and the warmth and contrast of colors and the reflections in both the wine glass as well as the bottle.

I will speak with Theresa next time that she comes to the store. We need to readdress these TERRE MATER wines from Chile's Valle Central region once again as it is now January 21st, 2010 ( Thursday ) and Chris Barker that is new to our wine team at Cleveland Park Wines will be helping me select some new wines to start off really well 2010 here in the store.




I have asked all of our reps to bring samples of their new wines and the new vintages so that Chris and I may taste them together and so that we may start fresh this year : at a running clip to make everyone notice us and Cleveland Park, too!




This I believe was Catherine's second visit with Theresa to our store. I have already blogged once about Catherine's first visit and you may use the search engine here to read that blog as well.




On this visit in 2009 Theresa and Catherine had the 2008 vintage of the less expensive TERRA MATER wines to taste ( 4 in all ) called " Paso Del Sol ". There were the two whites with the Chardonnay and the Sauvignon Blanc : as well as the two reds of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. At $10 or under a bottle in the store that makes for great daily drinking.






AS you can see I point my camera and shot - trying to aim as best I can but also happy with the fact that I am getting some truly unexpected and fun angles as I am not able to see what the CANON camera sees as I press down on the button. I think that makes it all the more exciting : like being along for the ride and a part of the process but not the whole process. It may originate with me but it goes beyond me , carrying me along and we just have to see what transpires as a result for better or for worse.






Often I find I get some fun compositions : more natural and fluid and " of the split-instant/second ". I like this very much because I am going for the natural and unique images and not those that are posed and thought-out in advance. I love the way the camera crops things off in funny ways and give just small parts of the whole as they come together as in this case to pour the wine from the bottle into the glass.




I also like how I get the color of the wine especially with the bold/bright ceiling lights above the store that are blaring and harsh and cutting.




I am sorry to hide Catherine's face here but I love the composition above as well as the placement of the hands that reveal so much of a person. It's all interesting : the pointing of the glass to the left, the tilting of the bottle to the right, seeing the label, Theresa looking on from the far upper right ...




If you enlarge this picture on the screen you might be able to tell the time of afternoon from Catherine's watch that she and Theresa were in the store?

I also capture Catherine smiling with one eye visible and the other not ; as well as her besides and behind the glass filled with either Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay? I love capturing the people that bring me their wines through the wine glass filled with one of those wines.






I'm an artist and interested very much in telling stories that are interesting and fun, playful and evocative and mysterious, too at times - either on their own or collectively as a whole...





It's fun to get two beautiful ladies for me behind the glass of the wines they represent together ( as well as Ian Tarlie here that works with Theresa Morrison to sell her South African portfolio as well as these other wines ) as well as with a brochure revealing to the reader the wines when they enlarge the picture on their screen. It helps complete the picture in a more subtle way, this.




And then here is my favorite kind of picture : me surrounded by two lovely ladies after having tasted and discussed business and now taking a moment to relax and socialize and complete and bring a nice sense of closure to the moment. Thanks Catherine and Theresa : come again any time ... cheers, and Happy New Year to you both and to one and all that read this ... TONY

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Thanks, we had a very nice time together.
Hopefully my wines are doing well there.
See you soon!