Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Barbara Rundquist, Owner Of Dr. THANISCH, Mosel, Germany Visits Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits & Tastes Current & New Vintages Of Her Rieslings

This was another fun and impromptu visit from owner Barbara Rundquist of DR. THANISCH, Mosel German wines to Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Washington D.C. 20008, Tel: 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ). As usual I was very impressed with the wines.



Barbara came last week and we tasted I believe three of her Rieslings and none of her excellent Spatburgunder dry red 100% Pinot Noir. I enjoyed very much her " Classic " dry Mosel Riesling as the price is quite affordable and it goes so well with so many foods. The acidity alone in the wine as well as the weight and clear character of the Riesling grown in the hillsides along the Mosel river really makes me stop and enjoy each and every sip and wonder when the food will be coming?




Barbara comes to see me each and every year that she comes to Washington D.C. We are out of her wines and will receive more this 14th of October as a rather large order of wines will be coming from the Country Vintners that sells her wines here in Washington D.C. I can't wait : we have been out of the wines now for awhile and it will be good to have them back.




This is the first year with tough economic times that Barbara and her crowd of German wine owners and winemakers did not come and taste with our Cleveland Park customers in February-March. Oh well, hopefully we will get back on board this coming year as these tastings always stir up a lot of interest in German wines from our customers as well as those belonging to the German Wine Society.




Barbara was one of the first to come. I remember that she charmed me the first year that we held this in-store tasting years ago. She stood up in the front of the store by the French cognacs and armagnacs. She spoke beautiful English and immediately put me at ease. I liked that - still do. She and Alice Fitz were so easy to talk to.




Barbara came here last week just around the end of September and the beginning of October, 2009. I will have to consult my calendar to be exact.

If you enlarge the picture of the bottles you can see more clearly what Barbara tasted me on. Tomorrow when I am back at the store I will consult my notes and finish this blog.




In the meantime I will post these pictures and let them speak for themselves. I hope you like some of the artsy angles and images that I captured through my Reidel wine-tasting glass.




We are already working on her next visit to the store and the possibility of doing a wine owner dinner with her at Enology? They were going to try and meet with the owner once they left the store. How was it Barbara : did you make contact with the owner of Enology up where the old Zebra Room used to be for years and years and years?




Stay-tuned for my additional comments and perhaps even some more pictures tomorrow. Cheers, TONY





1 comment:

Mr Riesling said...

Hi Tony,
You're getting me thirsty again.... and just to get you envious, the Dr Thanisch estate finished their 2009 harvst 1 November, and even selected berries for a TBA, apart from making a great Pinot Noir red. But that won't be released until 2011!