Monday, September 5, 2011

" The Lover " Black and White Monotype Etching I Did In Paris, France, 1978-1979 / Celebrating Today 2/7/ 2012 31 Years Of Marriage!


I did these two prints awhile back in 1980 and unfortunately I hardly ever printed these plates. That's too bad. I should have made more copies. these are perhaps the only two copies that I ever made. How is this possible? I cannot remember the specifics at all : a bit shocking now as I look back on it as my wife and I celebrate our 31st anniversary today here in northern Virginia. She has already gone off to work and I am headed out really soon as well. We did meet in France and I made these prints at Joelle Serve's Atelier 54 where I was an instructor there for her and was able to print for free in exchange. It was a great arrangement and I do believe that I stepped up to the job and met mostly French students wanting to learn how to etch. I loved the experience and think of it fondly always.


I also think fondly on our 31 years of marriage and that we had so many wonderful times together in Paris, France as well as a bit of traveling, too. Those were some glorious days, our first days together before marriage and a family. There have , of course been many to follow with our marriage and starting our family.

I did this etching - the plate that is - a zinc plate with one of those grease red pencils that makes rather blurred and hazy markings that leave a whole lot of room when one wants to print from them as to interpretation, mood, areas to focus on, areas to diminish. It leads to only monotypes and I love that, too. Each should be an " original " , much like our marriage and the both of us, the two " solids " in our lives for so many years now.

I would have liked to have pulled more prints from this zinc plate. Oh well, I really do like these two blacks and white that should be kept together and enjoyed as a pair. Cheers on this Tuesday, February 7th, 2012 here in northern Virginia at home at 8:35AM as I get ready to really start my day and celebrate fully our anniversary. A bientot et a la prochaine fois ... and here's to many more, too. Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn

No comments: