Friday, May 30, 2008

Keeping Up With Old Friends Like Aussie Importer Robert Whale

Who says that you can't go back in time? Here I am going back to this story that I wrote about you Robert because I was thinking about you - have been thinking about you recently and wondering how you are doing in these difficult times for Australian wines? I hope you are well.

I sure would like it if you stopped by sometime soon to chat and taste me on your new releases. We need to exchange stories and " chew the fat " so-to-speak. How the hell are you anyway old mate?!?

I'd like to extend the offer to you to have " a good one " on me. I will pick up the tab for this " good one ". What do you say? Hell, I'd like for you to have " several good ones " on me mate : why should I restrict it to just one? Who the hell am I anyway to go and do that and possibly squelch all the fun you/ we could have?





I love this photo that I took of you Robert at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits when you brought the Aussie winemaker Will of TAMAR RIDGE, Tasmania to do one of our in-store wine-tastings back three-four years ago? How long has it been since then?

Anyway, I think this is an excellent close-up of you. Do you agree?




These next pictures are from that same tasting with Will we did in Cleveland Park N.W. Washington D.C. ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com ).



Randy and Sandy enjoyed talking with you and exchanging stories as they, too had spent some wonderful time in Australia. You are from Victoria, right? I suppose they stayed in Sydney? I will have to ask them next time I see them.








Here we are together I believe way back in 2005 ( ormaybe 2006 ? ) when I did a " Big Theme " tasting of Pinot Noirs from around the world. You poured the TAMAR RIDGE Pinot Noirs ( 2 ) and one from SIEFREID ( Nelso, New Zealand ) and one or two others I believe that night.

This was a fun picture of us together here. I am glad to have it and to include it now to share with others.

It's Tuesday evening ( actually now Wednesday early morning at 12:40 AM, September 2nd, 2009 ) here at home in northern Virginia as I type these last words and head on up to bed.


     just a few minutes ago Robert Whale stopped by unannounced with Garrick Harvison the export manager of YARRAMAN ESTATE wines. Garrick had two whites and two reds - all four current vintages. The whites were a slightly-oaked Chardonnay that tasted grand on my voice that with allergies and a cold seem to have abandoned me for more receptive situations! I'm whispering a lot now. Oh well, the Chardonnay was like ambrosia to my stressed throat. It always showed brightly and the small bit of oak never dried out the bright, freshness of the Chardonnay flavors. The next a Verdelho white blend was a bit more tightly knit, a bit crisper and more angular. I liked it better and would enjoy that with many a summer-fare meal. My throat preferred the Chardonnay. Of the two reds , one a Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon blend and one a Cabernet-Shiraz blend I liked both. The Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon blend was a bit more fruit-forward and lusher, brighter. It was just a the limit to the amount of fruit I would like in a medium-to-light-bodied red. I would have chilled it slightly and it would have shown better in my opinion. The Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon red blend was a bit tighter, drier and I ultimately liked it better. It interested me more. I liked that it was a bit more complex with a touch more spice and toasty berry flavors showing, challenging me just a touch more. We will buy all four and have them in three weeks or so. They will be a great addition to the store. They are balanced, cold-climate wines that complement a meal and never displace it. That is what Robert Whale is all about.
     Robert came by maybe two-three weeks ago and he and I walked across the street to Byblos restaurant where I like to sit outside and write poetry, watch life go by and see a younger school population that with time will become customers of ours when they are of a proper age. It's fun to listen to them talk school talk,gossip and tell stories. I enjoy their youthful exuberance: it's so fresh and forward and out-there.
     Robert and I chewed the fat. I told him about my trip to Australia and he asked me many questions. I went for two weeks in February and landed in Perth on Sunday late afternoon February 10th the day of Heath Ledger's funeral on the Cottlesloe beach. We drove by twice and stayed just down the street two minutes away at the Beach Hotel. Wow, stunning scenery and I loved my swim in the beach the following morning. I was able to visit a number of wineries in both western and south Australia and have a two-day, one-on-one experience with the wine maker or owner. That meant a whole lot to me. I was able to convey some of this to Robert. He seemed hungry for information about him home country as he spends so much time here in the U.S. traveling from state to state promoting cold-climate Aussie ( Coriole, Plantagenet( western ), Rafferty's Rules south Australia ), Peter Howland ( western ), Yarraman Estate and more ) and New Zealand wines ( Seifried, Nelson ).
     I've known Robert now for forever, since the early eighties and we have followed each other's paths. It was nice for us to sit outside of Byblos restaurant and talk inspiration, dreams both realized and working-on. Today I discovered more about the exciting developments with his son and his love of photography. I want to see some of his work.
     Just like they always say, 5% of the time if that is spent on business and the rest is spent on catching up, sharing news and observations, gossiping mostly nicely I hope and telling/sharing ribald male fantasies that I cannot share here. Yes, all said and done we're still just a couple of blokes with desires and dreams and things we still want to accomplish even though we've already come this far. Cheers to you Robert and your family. I look forward to receiving a fresh batch of wines from you shortly. They will be welcome and great additions to our selection.
     Keep looking and enjoying whatever candies your eyes stumble/trip/ collide into - even spy out of the corners making you stop, turn your direction, enjoy and marvel. Life is wonderful, rich and so frustratingly frustrating and stimulating all in one. Maybe we need to stop in a pub and over a glass of the Yarrraman Chardonnay have another " good one ". I'll pay this time, the next time's on you mate! We may have to have something steamin' off one of our  barbie's with our families soon Monsieur Ballein. Oh, it was nice to see you again Garrick. You are always welcome here anytime.   TONY

1 comment:

Robert Whale said...

Tony,
The most eloquent and articulate prose from you to date. Bloody incredible, considering the somewhat shoddy material that you were presented with.

I enjoyed the read, thanks mate!

Cheers