Saturday, August 3, 2013

R. LOPEZ De HEREDIA VINA TONDONIA :Rediscovering " Gravonia " VINA TONDONIA White 2003 Spanish Rioja Tasted & Bought By Michel Dumas & Anthony Quinn ( Me ) This Year 2013 From Potomac Selections From Our New Rep

History, that's what this is, that's what it always is as far as I am concerned : history, perspective, stories and much of all the above on a personal level that allows for a connection that is more concrete and tangible for me. I like to be able to " add to the equation " with what I post. I like to add my artistic bent to the equation and the information, images, stories, facts and opinions that are already out there on any particular subject. This is my current relationship with R. LOPEZ De HEREDIA VINA TONDONIA, specifically the current vintage of the dry, unique, multi-dimensional "2003 Gravonia white that we sell now, and have for several months at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 202-363-4265 that quite literally stopped me, once again, dead in my busy tracks. For Michel Dumas he kept repeating the words " bourbon " and " bourbon barrels " and tastes like ". The 2003 had our rapt attention. There was no escaping it's pull on both of our attention. We had to draw closer, taste, wait and evaluate and speculate and analyze how it was effecting our own taste buds, how it was markedly-uniquely different from other Rioja white, ponder on the deep golden color, and so much more. It was like a dam was open and all the waters came rushing out with such force and majesty and strength of character and personality that it was all striking and unmistakable. WOW. I had not tasted it for awhile. It had not been available for awhile. We had sold both the reds and this dry golden white over the years, first buying the wines from Laurent Givry when he worked for Mike Franklin selections, then from Marcie Weinstein of Constantine Imports and then not seeing it again until it resurfaced with Potomac Selections and an announcement that the owners were in town doing a wine-tasting at Cork in Washington D.C. How I wanted to go, how I wanted to see the owners once again that I had met at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits once before!





( These pictures are of our local Potomac Wines & Spirits rep James Baker pouring us this FABulous white to taste in early-to-mid 2013 ) Thanks James, you got the ball rolling again for us with these stupendously-good wines from Rioja, Spain : class-acts all the way.

I have lots to add and there never seems to be any time for that. We will be receiving here this August 2013 some of the dry Rioja red and that is good news indeed. We just talked to our local rep at Potomac Selections and that will be coming the second week of August to complement the dry white that we already have above. I like to take artsy photos being an artist myself and I hope you enjoy these photos that I hope inspire people to want to taste and look closer at this exceptional dry white 2003, $29.99? That's the idea, of course. Come by and get some here. Call if you have questions ( 202-363-4265 ) or email me at : tonythewineguy@gmail.com . Cheers, Happy Saturday August 3rd, 2013. TONY

No comments: