Monday, March 25, 2013

Tasting French Winemaker Laurence Faller's DOMAINE WEINBACH " Cuvee Laurence " Pinot Gris Altenbourg 2004 W/ Jim Stutsman, Andrew Stover & Katarina Zuber : And LOVING IT! Bravo Laurence!





I am including some of my artwork here as I write about this exceptional wine from female French winemaker extraordinaire Laurence Faller : her " Cuvee Laurence" DOMAINE WEINBACH Pinot Gris Altenbourg 2004, 14.5% alcohol by volume that impressed from the first whiff in the bouquet and the first bit to touch my mouth and tongue and to fill and round-out my palate so completely as if all of me and not just my palate was floating and rocking effortlessly- sublimely on a water bed-hammock-swing ... so gentle, so enticing, so filling, so rich and forward yet so complete and silky and a slow-burn flavor and suggestion of seduction and rapture all wrapped up into one bouquet and one taste : the first! Wow, I was amazed : I was transported. So were Jim Stutsman and Andrew Stover. I must admit Laurence that Katarina did not like it at all. No matter how hard we tried to convince her she would not change her opinion. Oh well, that's okay. We loved it. Bravo. .




.... ..... .....




  I was amazed by the deep and lustrous, reflective, energized sun-swallowed-whole brightness of intense golden color. So rich, so shiny, so welcoming was and still is the color. We started with this wine about 7PM last night, Sunday March 24th : and now it is 10:22PM on Monday night, March 25th, 2013! ... ... ...


 The wine was everything last night : start, middle , finish, high and low, center-stage - middle, the whole stage, the whole platform : the whole enchilada!





 It was the beginning and the trail and the journey, charted and uncharted : the earth and the dirt and the vines and the roots, the air that they breathe, the skies and the winds, the breeze and the water and the rain and the frost and the cold and the darkest of nights and the brightest of days that basically blanche and whiten-you-or-me-other-or-him-or-us out because there is so much spark and spin and dazzle, show, sound,warmth and heat and heart and soul and OF COURSE accents of honey, undertones of nuts, fragrances of honeysuckle, currents of sun-dried fruits like apricots and sun-ripened. later shriveled pears and grapes of Pinot Gris in all states of dress and undress, all forms of fitness from athletic to couch-potato and relaxed to lively and energized, active and lively : always ALIVE - always stimulating even when holding or pulling back like the tide retreating, teasing and pleasing and frightening us lest it not return - NOW! ' we need your bright sun-soaked colors NOW, we need your fruit and honey essences - blessings NOW! .... ..... .....






  ... ... ...














 In the taste today the flavors and the textures and the spaces and sounds of the tastes on the palate have shifted and contracted and sharpened and some of the exuberant fleshy elasticity has diminished and changed the way the wine rests or displays - carries itself on the mouth, tongue, 'tween cheeks and lips and thirsty teeth. It's a slight adjustment. Some things are lost, some things are gained : definitely the wine is rearranged. .... .... I am thrilled to be really enjoying the last of it tonight as I type madly and happily away. Bravo on this very fine effort indeed Laurence. Tu me manques : ca fait trop long temps que nous n'avez pas venue ici nous rendre visite. Mais j'ai entendu par Danny Haas ( gui va venir me voir demain avec Sal Furfari du Bacchus imports ) que vous avez marrier et que vous avez deux enfants?!? Felicitations. Je vous chouette tous le bonheur que vous meriter avec tous que vous nous a donner en vin depuis des ans! Merci encore. ... ... .... ... ...






  ... ... ... ... ...







 Thanks again for such a superb wine! I still have one bottle Laurence. When do you think I should drink it? Now or can I wait and have even more exciting things appear and come out and stimulate all my senses until I pass out? Let me know. In the meantime know that you and your work are appreciated and that you are missed. I am thrilled to have spent the small bits of time with you over the years. Merci pour ca et bon continuance a toi et ton mari et vos enfants ... Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn




























No comments: