Thursday, March 28, 2013

PAUL CLUVER'S 2008 Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest Estate Wine :On The Road To Find The Ultimate Honey, Grapes, Raisins , Nuts , 'N So Much More As You Unlock Your Senses !

Yesterday Elaine Garber of WORLD PREMIER WINES ( www.capewine.com , 704-360-4208 ) stopped by, a Wednesday afternoon with Chuck our Robin Cellars rep to taste the current selection of the PAUL CLUVER wines and more. I immediately said " hello ", and " welcome back " , and went on to look quickly at her list of wines and say that Paul Cluver had been to the store already and tasted his current selection of wines at the time. ... I immediately added that I had tasted a bottle of the Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest Estate wine that our then rep for PAUL CLUVER, Jody Jackman of Winebow Imports had given me to enjoy, a half-bottle of the 2008 , 10.5% alcohol by volume that I had taken home with me. ... ... I went on to say that I had liked the wine when I tasted it before but that day at home when I re-tasted the bottle that Jody gave me, when I tasted it again it was like a revelation, an epiphany, an amazing WASH OVER ME of intense flavors and tastes that pretty much floored me, stopped me straight in my tracks, like BAM! BAM! BAM! I was stunned into submission, a broad smile racing across the features of my face, a grin, a satisfaction-sublime. So much brightness, richness, sunshine, warmth, flavor, fullness and density and complexity : and yet silky, soft, bright, enriching, invigorating ... so many sensations and pleasures and joys all locked up in this one small sip! I loved it, I really did. ... ... ... ... ... ... I did not want to rush, I wanted to linger and sit a spell, and just be wrapped up in this glorious moment where wine-meets-mouth-tongue-lips-and touches all one's senses. It was special. I think I was inspired to write about it and may have at : chatwine.blogspot.com? I will have to check? I know that I did write about it somewhere and I have to revisit that as it was a great, serendipitous moment for me. Cheers Paul and you staff that produced this great 2008 Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest estate wine, 10.5% alcohol by volume! ... ... ... ... ... ... When I saw Elaine Garber we , of course had to talk about this and she did have a bottle in her bag of tricks of the current vintage. What date is it Elaine? I will call and ask you? I would like to include that information here as it is part of the story. ... ... We tasted the current vintage with Elaine and I liked it but it did not strike me as rich as the bottle that I had from Jody given to me perhaps 4-5 years ago?!? Elaine quickly added that the wine really does become richer with bottle-age. I agree. I told her that I still had the bottle at home and it still had some in it and that I would go home, find the bottle and try it ASAP! ... ... So, this morning I did indeed find the bottle, it had just a wee bit left in it and that delights me! I was in a rush to get here to work so I did not have much time and wrote the info down, smelled it, and took one quick tiny sip to just wet my lips with the taste before rushing off! It was lovely : some great accents of honey, nuts and raisins , cream, velvet, age, experience, stories to tell and share, a whole life of living life fully and still around to share and to tell about it : liquid sublime life, experience, warmth, generosity, excitement tamed but still with flame and flesh and soul : South African soul, soul and spirit of land and of the PAUL CLUVER vineyards from which it was raised, bred and made, bottled and finally released into the world-at-large to weave it's sunshine and wonder and awe and welcome. Cheers Paul and team, bravo to you all. ... ... Tonight or by this weekend I will finish the last few drams and report more fully. In the meantime enjoy this and look for this gem of a dessert wine from PAUL CLUVER. We should have some soon here, by April, 2013. ... and thanks Jody, TONY ... ... Cheers on Thursday, March 28th, 2013 here in Cleveland Park Northwest, Washington D.C. on a beautiful, sunny, bright, baby blue skies, breezy, fresh and brisk morning. Happy Easter or Happy Passover. Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn ... The pictures are of the store and of Washington D.C. ... pictures of the bottle to follow later. ... I just got a return call from Elain Garber and the vintage we tasted here yesterday was the 2011, around 9% alcohol by volume, that we will sell here for $32.99 a 375ml bottle. Cheers ...

No comments: