Sunday, March 24, 2013

Jancis Robinson Toasts Virginia Wines : " Great Energy & Broad Vision, I Like The Petit Verdot & Petit Manseng, The VA. Governor , Chris Parker For His Part & Steven Spurrier, Too " She Said

This was quite the 3-part event this past Thursday night, March 21st, 2013 at 6:45PM at the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum with the Baird Auditorium interview with Washington Post wine-writer Dave McIntyre and then the book-signing of her new book AMERICAN WINE with Linda Murphy , and then the American Wine-Tasting with wines, owners and wine-makers from Texas, Michigan, Colorado, Virginia , New York and even California! It was an impressive evening to say the least and I will actually be writing quite a bit over time inspired by it. The one selfish thing that I do want to share, however in this blog entry is the few precious seconds that I had of Jancis Robinson, almost as if all to myself. It is blind luck and timing, that's all , but this is what I will remember the most of all because it was simply two human beings making contact in an otherwise very big and active period of time. Let me tell you about these few precious seconds that I had with Jancis with what was for all intents and purposes . just the two of us. It was at the end of the wine-tasting in the Rotunda with the famous elephant in the center. Lili and I both got pictures of Jancis and her husband Nick standing in front of the tall and stately and regal elephant. That was nice, that was a relaxed few seconds before Jancis dutifully went to the last tables of wines from both Virginia and Texas. I followed, kept my distance and took my photographs of her tasting. That was the hat I was wearing at that moment : of the photographer-historian. It was a treat and something I like. Earlier I had worn my artist's hat of a quick portrait sketcher and I was able to not only get a couple of pictures taken with her by Andrew Stover but also quickly show her the 25 or so quick pen and also oil pastels portrait sketches of her. All good. Once Jancis and Nick had made the rounds of all those tasting their wines she rallied her troops and headed for coats and then the exit. That's when I took my cue to leave. I wanted to get home to my wife and to spend some precious minutes with her perhaps watching an episode or two of the 2nd season of Downton Abbey? I circled the Rotunda once and then also headed for the door. I hurried out myself going down the escalator and past the security guards saying " Good Night " to them as I walked out the heavy brass and thick glass doors just behind Nick, Jancis' husband. They were about to get into their waiting car there on Constitution Avenue by 10th Street. It was cool and dark and a lovely evening. Jancis was just a few steps in front of Nick to the right. She turned around and saw me in front of her, she smiled and she said : " Thank You, Thank you very much ". I replied as I kept walking to get to my car : " Thank you, it was a pleasure to meet you ". I did not want to stop and steal precious time that was now hers from her. I had a had my time earlier with her and though I would have loved more I wanted to respect the moment and enjoy having had those precious few seconds with her and not overstay my welcome. I think I succeeded. I think it was the right thing to do. Thank you Jancis for everything thank you from all of us , thank you for saying what you did when you saw me there in the evening after a wonderful event. I will treasure it. Cheers, Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn

No comments: