Monday, September 5, 2011

My " The Beggar Woman "/ Etching Artist's Proofs Done In 1988-1989/ Metro Trocadero/ I Drew Her Each Morning/ ZUCCARDI Argentina Wines Oct. 2011


I had learned about wine in part already with my father as we would visit the Nicolas wine shops at first. Then we discovered Steven Spurrier's Caves De La Madeleine and his Acedemie Du Vin. When I turned 21 my parents gave me a class there ( the first wine class offered there ) and I was allowed to come on a trial run. Patricia Gallagher was not sure that the older men would like me and welcome me to the class? So it was a test to see if I passed? According to my mother I passed with flying colors and was invited back! I like that, I like it a lot.


Anyway, at some point while learning about wine with my father I also started to draw the musicians and the people in the Paris metro. I was fascinated by this one particular old beggar woman in the Trocadero metro and I drew her many times and this etching is the result of those drawings.


This etching represents the life as I envisioned it of this old beggar woman from being a young girl to a young lady to finally coming to beg in the Trocadero metro.


The walls of the metro represent the people like me that are almost machine-like and indifferent and cold and simply pressing on to get to their destinations. Not pretty, not right. Something wrong with this picture isn't there? Should be fixed, shouldn't it?


Anyway, I wanted to share these artist's proofs with you and get your impressions?

On wine, last night my wife and I enjoyed some Argentina dry white and red : she the ZUCCARDI 2010 Torrontes white and me the ZUCCARDI Mendoza Malbec 2009 dry red. Also tried over the weekend the ZUCCARDI 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon and the 2008 or 2009 ZUCCARDI Tempranillo, They were all so different and opened slowly and gracefully. I liked the Cabernet the best, then the Tempranillo that needed the most time. I liked the least the Malbec becasue I thought of it as columns of flavor and I will check it tonight, a day-old and see if my impressions change. Cheers, Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn

No comments: