Monday, September 5, 2011

Encore Plus D'Art De Antoine " Just Missed The Boat ! " / A Black-And-White Etching Done in 1978 @ Atelier 17 of William Stanley Hayter/ Qu'Est Ce Que

Vouz Voyez ? the headline above should finish ...

I did this black-and-white etching very early in my career in Paris, France : 1078 I believe? It was a intricate etching with lots of lines and lots of suggestions of animal forms dissolving into a background of earth, sky and water : all things coming together. I had a whole lot of fun with it and my imagination really began to work overtime and I liked this : made me work even harder and smile to myself inwardly even more. I was pleased, I was compelled, I was driven , I was dedicated to this pursuit of mine and it was rewarding me inch by inch, line by line, and really small bit by small bit. Great! Of course I did not really know any of this at the time. It would come gradually, it would come later. I would realize some of this as I looked back years later very much as I am now.

Why do I say this? I mention it because it occurs to me now. I moved on pretty quickly to many other etchings in Paris, France. I would often go back and re-print a plate. Pretty much all of what I have printed I would categorize as " Artist's Proofs ". I like this : I know it is much harder to sell and probably nowhere as profitable. Certainly it is much less marketable. I get that that, I really do. But I am and always have been very much about the raw inspiration at any given moment. That to me is the " germ - the truth, the closest thing to being as honest as anyone can be at any one given moment ". Wow, that's all a tongue and a mind-twister. So be it : I'm happy, I still believe this and only time will prove me right or wrong : all depending on one's point of view : or the collective " point-of-view " of one large sea or sky or cave of opinion/ likes and dislikes.

SO : enjoy this one print that I pulled of this etching done many years ago in Paris, France that I started when I first went to print at William Stanley Hayter's Atelier 17 at 10, Rue Didot in the 14th arrondisement of Paris, France back in 1978 I believe. Cheers and please comment and tell me what you all see below in the " comment " section at the end of this blog? I would love to hear. Cheers et a la prochaine. Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn

No comments: