Friday, May 27, 2011

Tasting @ Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits N.W. Wash D.C. In Early 2011 Some DYNAMITE California Merlot & The Dry Red Blend / Buy Which?


I told Kelley Bigell our rep then for the Pinnacle House wines at Washington Wholesalers ( she worked with her excellent boss Eric Platt ) that we wanted to decide which of the DYNAMITE California reds to bring in? Either the DYNAMITE Merlot that we had been using for a year or so already or perhaps the DYNAMITE dry red blend that we had also already just purchased and used? I wanted one at least and which one would it be?


Back then in early 2011 at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel : 202-363-4265 anthony.quinn@clevelandparkwine.com also now on Facebook at : Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and on Twitter at : cpwinespirits , also on chatart.blogspot.com and chatpoetry.blogspot.com ) when Kelley tasted us on the dry red blend I loved it for it's explosion of lush and forward and juicy red berry flavors that were never too much or over the top - just right and very generous. We bought some immediately and that's how I sold it. However, a month or so later when she came to taste it with our customers it was much more tightly-wound and much less forward and generous? So I asked to try another bottle, this one, the third one.


I wanted to see how this third bottle of the dry red blend DYNAMITE was showing. Oscar from his own Voila Imports was there and a witness to this all. I am sure that he tasted along with us. Anyway, I liked it on this third go-around and I told Kelley that I would buy some soon and perhaps also get a case or two of the Merlot for our shelf. The dry red DYNAMITE blend I would stack on our floor.



I had always liked the bold, colorful labels of this DYNAMITE wine and I also liked the fact that they were working to be organic and soon to be so. I did not like that the Cabernet Sauvignon could be found everywhere. That interested me less to promote a wine that for me needed no promotion. We like much more to introduce our customers to " new " wines and " new taste " sensations. Kelley and Eric both all knew this about me and Cleveland Park. They both worked really well together with us here in our Northwest Cleveland Park, Washington D.C. neighborhood.


This is sort of a " Swam Song " and a " Thank You " to both Kelley and to Eric as they have both since left their jobs to go onto other opportunities. We wish them both well.


Eric Platt came by the store a few days ago and I told him I was writing this " thank you " note to both him and to Kelley. He was pleasantly surprised I think. We talked Kiwi wines as he has some really fine offerings. I will be getting more of his SEIFRIED Vineyard, Nelson Bay wines soon through Elite Imports and that pleases me, Agnes Seifried and her daughter Mary have both done in-store wine-tastings at Cleveland Park Wines over the years. It's nice to have some of the excellent wines from the Nelson region of New Zealand to sell. They are really fine and have always done quite well in Cleveland Park N.W. Washington D.C..


I will ask our new rep Matt Janssen about the DYNAMITE wines. He placed the Cabernet Sauvignon that we currently have on our shelves. We will now have to see about these others once again : the dry red blend as well as the Merlot : both which in my opinion have always offered better values for the money, especially in these cash-strapped times.


In fact now we are carrying presently the DYNAMITE Cabernet Sauvignon as I just mentioned. I will soon include vintage and price here.

I do not know where Kelley landed and what she is doing but I want to wish both her and Eric Platt happy new year 2012 and thanks them for their excellent service of our account at Cleveland Park. Cheers and until our paths next cross, all the very best. Anthony ( TONY ) Quinn

P.S. Being an artist I like the bright, colorful labels and the " fighting organic " aspect of what they are doing. The image of the black hawk in the lower left hand side of the labels was always a really nice touch, too as they help to keep the " natural " balance of things in the vineyards. Bravo!

No comments: