Thursday, February 24, 2011

" So Here's The Question : What Is The Most Important Information To Include In A Wine Review? " 2/24/2011

This question comes from writer/blogger Dan Sogg in his third blog entry at : thesoggblog : Speaking Truth About Wine in a blog titled : " In Search Of A Useful Wine Note " where he quotes writer Eric Asimov that asks : "Savory or Sweet ? "

It's late and I am really tired and I thought about commenting about this on Dan's blog as I have already done but my long and exhausting comment received nor comment or response from Dan and so I will write this time on my own blog.

I'll cut to the chase as I have been aware all day that a popular singer, the young Lady GaGa was going to be singing at the Verizon Center with her show of " The Monster Ball ". I just watched the Channel 5 coverage of it with speaking with her fans before the concert. They kept repeating that they were being themselves, that it was okay, that the young LadyGaGa said it was okay to be themselves, that they liked this and her and her message all in one. I like that as well.

I say that the one wine note that is useful is to let yourselves be yourselves where wine is concerned. Be daring, be brave, be true to your own taste sensations and try as many wines as you can to learn more about whet you taste and you feel about the wines and the events, the foods, the whole meal and how everything either works together or not at all. But learn to be brave and stand on your own two feet and use your own head and thoughts and palates when judging wine. That's the most useful wine note that I can and am able and more than willing to share with you all tonight on Thursday, February 24th, 2011 at 11:09 PM here at home in northern Virginia on a cold and wet evening.

The young Lady Ga Ga talks about the monsters in our adolescence and in our schools that bully and criticize and try and degrade us. Well, the same is true in the wine world. Don't let it happen to you: dare to have your own opinion - to formulate and speak it and be willing to share and to learn and to grow. Conquer all those wine monsters out there that will , if left to their own devices rob you of what is rightfully yours. That's the whole wine experience and not only the small and limited one that they want you to have. You deserve more and you will get more but only if you pursue it on your own : unscripted, unrehearsed and by yourselves.

The monsters of wine are in it for themselves and not for you. They do not know you, they do not care about you. They care about themselves and their own enjoyment and perhaps, too the profits or what is in it for them. That sounds harsh but it's the real truth and so do not be swayed or duped or lured over to their message if it does not help you to discover your own message and your own path as that is the only thing that is essential for you. It's all about you and how and when and with whom you enjoy your wine and your food. Don't ever forget that.

So be like a young Lady GaGa and for it with passion and purpose and resolve and enthusiasm and a willingness to achieve all the highs, lows and middles in the wine experience. You paid for it with the purchase of each bottle and it's there waiting to be fully appreciated/ experienced and discovered like for " the very first time " each and every time.

There is clearly more that can be said about all of this but I think that for tonight I have said enough and given you all enough to think about for the moment. I apologize if it sounds as if I am preaching. I do not mean to do that and sorry if I sound like it. I just want you to all know what your options are and to never lose sight of them. Cheers et bonsoir, TONY

No comments: