Friday, January 14, 2011

Wed, Jan 12th, 2011 In-Store Wine-Tasting W/ David Stefan Of DOMAINE CHAMPY Of Burgundy, France ( Pernand Vergelles ) and Our Rep Gene



This was a great serendipitous visit from my old French friend David Stefan that came to see me with Gene our store rep that now sells these DOMAINE CHAMPY Burgundy wines that David now represents. Before he used to sell us the great JEAN-LUC COLOMBO French wines of the northern and southern Rhone valley and the area around Provence where he is from that Palm Bay sells. I don't think that you have been with JEAN-LUC COLOMBO now for more than a year David? Or has it been longer?




The last time I saw you David was last year in October or November of 2010 when we bumped into each other at the Wine Spectator GRAND TOUR Wine-Tasting at the Ronald Reagan Center here in Washington D.C. I asked your opinion of the best tables to visit and you immediately started walking us over to the great Bordeaux houses of CHATEAU MOUTON-ROTHSCHILD and then CHATEAU LAFITE ROTHSCHILD where I bumped pleasantly into Steve Roland ( I have blogged about all of this already and you can catch it here on chatwine. Go back to the last months of 2010 and you will find them there ). You saved me this evening David : you brought me these excellent French wines and that's exactly what I needed : to have my faith restored once again in the great wine world that I have now loved for almost forty years I believe.




You saved me again this past Wednesday late morning on January 13th, 2010 ( check my chatartist.blogspot blog as well that I just finished earlier today, Tuesday January 18th, 2011 from home here in northern Virginia ). I was very pleased indeed with the really high quality of these DOMAINE CHAMPY burgundies - reds and whites that you brought with Gene to taste both Chris Barker and myself on - six wines in all I believe.




I liked all the wines that I tasted because I found them balanced and with a nice focus and they made me think of enjoying them all with a meal. Perhaps the one that I liked the best was the 2009 Bourogne rouge that we will be able to sell in the store at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. N.W. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com , now on Facebook at : cleveland park wine & spirits and also on Twitter at : CPWINESPIRITS, too ) for $19.99. It's really elegant and refined. The color - delicate and almost a tomato transparent sheen and glow of the color : and then the ethereal and very silky-shimmering cascade and shimmy of flavors descending/rising and rippling like the concentric circles of a tossed stone into a still lake spreading out over the full surface of the lake and one's own mouth, tongue and palate - lovely. An unexpected treat all of this - caught me off guard in a very subtle yet very pleasing way.



Look at that gorgeous color of the 2009 red Burgundy Bourgogne rouge above I believe - it's magnificent and reflective and retentive and transparent of so much light from the ceiling lights at the store that soak into the body and the fibers-sinews of this red wine elixir - I love it! How many of us spend time looking at these beautiful colors of wine? We are so impatient to try the wines that we often do not and rush forward in complete abandon and rhapsody. That's why I take these pictures : they take us back to these moments that we did not stop and really enjoy. Now we can when things are perhaps less chaotic and we actually have the time for meditation and review.

The six wines that we tasted Of DOMAINE CHAMPY from Burgundy were : 1) Macon-Villages 2009 white burgundy, 2) Pouilly-Fuisse 2009 white burgundy, 3) Pernand-Vergelles 2008 white burgundy, 4) 2009 Bourgogne rouge, 5) Cotes-De-Beaune Villages 2008 red burgundy and 6) Savigny-Les-Beaune 2008 red burgundy.

As I said I liked all of these wines and felt that they well-represented their appellations and grape varieties as well as the two vintages from which they came.




I liked the Macon-Villages 2009 and think that we will have David Stefan come down from New York to taste these wines with our customers at the store. Either David or Gene will pour some of them in February 2011. We may also include one more and that depends on what we need in the store at the time as we have to balance our stock so that we always represent the fullest line and variety that we possibly can at any given point in time.




That's Gene above through the red wine in my Reidel glass and that's David below just in case you all did not know.




Being an artist I like to take lots of artsy photos and I hope that you enjoy these and that they add to your equation of wine and people, place and time, etcetera. I will probably add more but for now I will post this blog as is. I welcome everyone to add their comments in the comment section that follows this blog : that means you David and you Gene. Cheers et a plus tard David et merci pour ta visite avec les six vins du Bourgogne bien faitent avec un tres bon balance et gout typique du terroir. TONY






No comments: