Wednesday, December 1, 2010

In Dave McIntyre's Article : " A Bountiful Harvest Of Intoxicating Books " : Wine Write Matt Kramer For Wine " Is Its Conscience ". 12.1.2010

I read Dave McIntyre wine article/ review on wine books article this Wednesday morning, December 1st, 2010 entitled : " A Bountiful Harvest Of Intoxicating Books " on wine and I also really appreciate the wine-writings of Matt Kramer that I have read over the years in the Wine Spectator. Like you say Dave he is wine's " conscious " and we certainly need at least one if not many, many , many more to help balance the equation as it now stands in a rather dismal state I might add.

We get a copy delivered to the store every issue and when i get a chance to scan through it quickly the one article that I might indeed read from start to finish is Matt Kramer's article. I always learn something, it always makes me think and sometimes points something out that I am really glad to be made aware of.

I also liked to read the Jancis Robinson articles when she wrote for the Wines Spectator. Jancis and Matt were both anchors for me and that had me coming back along with the articles that tell more of the wine places, the travel, the settings and the actual places from which the grapes are grown and the wines are made. To me these are the reasons I find something valuable when I look at the Wine Spectaor which is also referred to by some as the Wines Speculator where you have to pay for your wines to be tasted and reviewed either positively or negatively.

So I have now read many of Matt's columns for years in the Wines Spectator and say : bravo Matt! I would enjoy meeting you Matt as I believe that we share many of the same points on wine and it would be fun to have a conversation unfold face-to-face. It might just go off in any direction and that would be entertaining as well as instructive I am sure.

I have not as yet read : " Matt Kramer On Wine : A Matchless Collection Of Columns, Essays, and Observations by America's Most Original and Lucid Wine Writer " ( Sterling Epicure, $20 ) but I will look for one or ask for a copy for Christmas. I am sure that much of what he has written about wine is still very pertinent and on-point today in this ever-changing quickly wine world of ours today.

So Dave and Matt : thanks for your writing and your valuable contributions to the wine world today. You both bring many valuable and insightful comments and points-of-view that respect the art and the integrity - the heart-dream-and the soul of pure wine-making and for me appreciation for the whole of the business and not just the things/wines that happen to be in vogue and constantly changing by the split moment these days it seems.

By the way Dave Alfredo Bartholomaus gave me a copy of Laura Catena's book : " Vino Argentina : An Insider's Guide to the Wines and Wine Country of Argentina " ( Chronicle, $27.50 ) that I have scanned through briefly. I missed the last Nicolas Catena/ Laura Catena ZAPATA release and event at the Argentina Embassy ( I was invited, ... and the time before I did meet Laura briefly as we were all dancing on the floor at the Argentina Embassy for the prior ZAPATA roll-out with my wife - nice, tango dancers and live music and all ...) but had a school function with my 17-year old son that trumped going this time. Oh well, Alfredo was nice enough to give me a copy when he came to the store after the event.

I think that that was just after he brought me Ernesto Catena ( Laura's brother and Nicolas' son ), the owner of the fine sparkling and dry reds of ALMA NEGRA that we have sold now for years and currently have on our shelves at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 , Tel:202-363-4265 , sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com and on Facebook at : clevelandparkwines&spirits, too ) to say " hola, come estas? " for the very first time ever. I quite liked Ernesto, the visit was much too brief for me to really get to know him but I enjoyed meeting him and looking into his magnetic and glowing, bright, sparkling eyes - captivating : what must the women think?

I have also blogged about that visit here with Alfredo and Ernesto Catena called : " Alfredo S. Bartholomaus Brings Me Ernesto Catena " ( 6/1/2010 ) on chatwine.blogsot.com. Check it out if you like. I got some good pictures , too. And certainly come by to try some of his wines , especially the three sparkling wines before the New Year. Also, when you come to the store ask me to show you the copy of Laura's book that I have there along with the CATENA wines on our shelves.

Of course this always makes me think back to when Nicolas Catena was just starting his business in the United States and Nora Favelukes that represented him with Alfred Bartholomaus asked me if I would mind joining them both for lunch ( just the three of us ) at Bilbo Baggin's in Old Towne Alexandria so that he could pick my brain for some ideas of how best to get into the U.S. market. I was more than pleased to be of service and I remember the luncheon fondly even today. So, I will read Laura's book this holiday season and maybe write about that here soon.

By the way the United States owes Nora Favelukes a big thanks for introducing us to Nicolas, his family and his excellent wines. She was at the forefront of this momentous series of events that grew and grew and grew and started all so very humbly with her, her foresight and her vision. How many of you knew this? It's important, really. Thank you Nora. Happy New Year 2011 to you and to your family.

Anyway, this was good reading this morning, Dave. Got me to thinking and I like that - need that each and every day. Thanks again and happy holidays 2010 and Happy New Year to you and Lili and you family. Cheers, TONY

No comments: