Friday, November 26, 2010

Claude Thibaut Stops By Cleveland Park Wines Late November 2010 To Say Bonjour! Et Parler De " Fizz" En Virginie, D.C. Et A Chicago!



Res, according to Frenchman Claude Thibaut that stopped by this afternoon he received a call from the famous Chicago, Illinois bar called Pop I believe inquiring about his " new " Virginia bubbly release called " Fizz " that we have on our shelves at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( $21.99 a bottle I believe ) ; and that he has sent some to them and that they now also sell it there. Bravo Fizz et bravo Claude!




We have been selling it well though it's more expensive predecessor called Thibaut-Janisson that has been available now for three vintages ( we've sold them all from the very start , $28.99 ) is still selling better as more people know it and trust it. The " Fizz " will catch up to it and probably surpass it as it is so much less expensive and also quite enjoyable and perhaps even easier to sit around drinking all by itself in nice, informal gatherings.




I was stocking our shelves back in the French and Italian section this afternoon when Claude came by to say " bonjour " and I quickly got my camera and snapped these pictures. I like taking them whenever I get the chance as you never know what I will capture and it's always to have a series of them as they tell a more complete story or stories this way.

Claude wanted to know of course if I need more of both the Fizz and the Thibaut-Janisson? I said I would need some shortly. It's now Sunday afternoon here at home on an icky, dreary, cold rainy afternoon on December 12th, 2010 and I will need some delivered this month to close out our year. I will have to call you Claude and give you the order over the phone. That's okay.




Our customers are buying and enjoying both of these elegant, bright and polished sparkling Virginia wines. People are almost always willing to try them and often they return for more. I like that : I like it a lot. I enjoy very much representing these wines of Virginia and Maryland as often as I can and right now there are many available for sale in the store and that pleases me, too. I mean : why only sell the wines made in the United States way over on our other coast and forget or not be willing to fight for and support our very own wines made here so much closer?!?

What's the worst that can happen - that some people return and tell you that they did not like the wines? I feel it is my duty as an open-minded and benevolent salesman/wine-educator to expose these wines made here on the east coast to our customers and not to ignore them because they may still be a little more expensive than many our customers want to pay for on an everyday level. I like when people visiting the United States try them as they are here on the east coast and not on the west coast. I also like when our customers visiting us also take them home with them to introduce to their families and friends back home.




I have very strong opinions about the wines made here on the east coast and I want as many people as I can persuade to try them to do exactly that : try them - be open-minded enough to simply try them and see what they think. I succeed many times and others fail miserably, too.




A case in point that troubles me a whole lot is the other day a customer that I know well was approaching the check-out counter and I spied that she had a bottle of Virginia Sauvignon Blanc ( I think it was the GLEN MANOR that I buy from Brennan Downey - I have met both owners and said to the gentleman at the time : " Why are you working with Sauvignon Blanc and not Seyval Blanc or some other grape that we already have in Virginia ? " ) in her hands with other wines and I complemented her on her choice. She froze, said something like : " Oh no, that will not do " and returned it to the shelf where she found it. Here

I was simply doing my job and adding some information as well as an opinion and it turned the tide for her and she returned it thinking it was a California bottle of wine that she held in her hand.

I felt deflated-crushed. Oh well. I did not try and argue with her - this time I simply walked away and back into the office because I did not want to argue with her as she seemed so set in her ways as I said simply : " Why not? ". If I had said more it would not have worked this time, I felt it unfortunately. It was not that I did not feel like I had the fight or the will to carry on, but sometimes it's best to let some things alone.

She will be back and we will at some point bridge this conversation again. She must have had her reasons this time. Next time we will see?




Anyway, I like supporting Claude Thibaut. It's been a grand relationship so far and I have been more than happy to introduce him and his wines to our customers now for the last three to four years it seems, maybe more? When did you first come with Pamela to the store Claude?

I have already blogged here on Chatwine.blogspot.com about Claude twice I believe? You can use the search engine above to check those earlier blogs out if you wish.




You look good Claude. It's always a pleasure to have you here in our store and I always look forward to your visits. The next time bring an open bottle of the Fizz with you for Chris and me to taste. We always like tasting with you to see what is currently in the bottle and how it is tasting now as we are always selling and recommending your wines.








Cheers et sante a toi eta Pamela - bons fetes et Bonne Annee a tous en 2011. I will call you Claude. TONY

No comments: