Friday, October 22, 2010

Oct 2010 FRITZ CA. Wines : The Zins My Father Liked When He Was Alive & Would Talk About/ Send Me - Bring From California W/ Him When Visiting



There are blogs and there are blogs and there are information ones specifically about the subject and there are ones where the subject itself is the launching board to many other subjects and this is one of those.

The launching board being the FRITZ Vineyard Zinfandel wines that we currently stock at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel: 202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com and also on Face Book at : Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and on Twitter at : cpwinespirits ) when our wine rep Nolan came with a selection of the wines from the FRITZ Vineyard followed shortly after by his boss Chuck that brought with him another California winery to taste. It was almost a party there was so much wine for Chris Barker and me to taste and I enjoyed it enormously because of the subject that is my father and the fact that I could both remember my father better as I told the story of him and his calls to me as well as wine-clipping sent to me on the FRITZ Vineyard.




My father used to call me from California and talk to me about certain wines. He would tell me the ones that he had tasted and visited and liked and then he would ask me my opinion on them. They were always friendly and enjoyable conversations for me. I must try now and find these clippings as it would be grand to include them here in this blog. I think that my father also sent my wife and I at least a bottle of the FRITZ Zinfandel, He may have brought them when he visited. As hard as try and remember this the recollection is fuzzy and I do not recall the specific details. Too bad - it's always nice to be able to more accurately flesh out a story like this one as possible.




The bottom line is that I remember the FRITZ Vineyard because of my father and because I want to remember and speak of my father I am happy to have the FRITZ Zinfandel now at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits and I will ask Nolan on his next visit to tell me what he currently has in stock as I think I may have just sold out of what we had in the store here in our nation's capitol in the beautiful neighborhood of Cleveland Park N.W. with the National Zoo a couple of blocks away on Connecticut Avenue N.W. as one goes toward Dupont Circle from the store ; and the Uptown movie house just across the street from us.



There's Nolan above in this picture smiling. Either he or I was telling a fun story as we like to bounce off on one another and we both get a lot of joy out of it. What were you smiling about here Nolan?

I ended up buying the one Zinfandel here and I liked it for it's power and presence and good delineation of flavors with racy acids and some nice pithy spices and it overall made me cry out for some food to have it with. It was made to be enjoyed with a meal I am sure and to age gracefully and it was simply for me a bit too young yet to fully enjoy. But I am one of a very few today that does not mind waiting and willing to buy a bottle or more of the FRITZ Vineyard Zinfandel and put it away and wait until a few years later to unearth it and pop the cork and taste where it is at at that particular moment in it's life and evolution.

Being now at home here on a glorious afternoon in northern Virginia and away from the store and my notes I will post this blog late as it is and fill in the details of prices and vintages later this week. It's now Sunday at 6:50PM on March 13th, 2011 and I have steaks to go out and grill now while there is still light and while my son is out walking our Terrier-mixed breed dog. I will sip some 2010 dry rose from Austria and Germany I think now that Chris Bartha dropped off for Greg and me to taste ( he had a D.I. on a number of his company's roses - we ordered some ) and I will perhaps tell my wife about this blog and how my father really liked the FRITZ Vineyard Zinfandel.

Too bad that I do not have a bottle now to enjoy later with the steaks : that would be nice. Cheers and stay-tuned for more. This story has just begun. TONY

No comments: