Monday, October 4, 2010

Drinking Right Now As I Type BOUCHARD FINLAYSON Galpin Peak 2005 Pinot Noir From South Africa : Reminds Me Of Tar/Leather/Tobacco-Slight Chilled Borde

Bordeaux, Only Lighter, Gentler, more airy if that is ever/was ever a word to describe a dry red wine? That's how my headline should finish.

It's fabulous this 2005 BOUCHARD FINLAYSON Pinot Noir from South Africa! I left the bottle outside here on my deck out back in northern Virginia where on my day-off I have been in the process of roasting two chickens, preparing corn-on-the-cob and making a carrot, tomato and lettuce salad for our dinner tonight.

The only thing missing is my daughter! I told my wife and son as I went from the kitchen through the dining room and outside to my awaiting glass of this 2005 Pinot Noir from South Africa that I was going to enjoy a glass of this wine as the dinner was largely ready and our daughter had not arrived yet and I was enjoying now the coolness of the late afternoon here at 5:25 Pm on Monday, October 4th, 2010.

I had no idea my response to this wine would now be so immediate and favorable! Wow! Double/triple/quadruple wow : I like this wine ! I will have to buy some and sell it at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits in Northwest Washington D.C. as soon as I can get some from the distributor that was nice enough to leave me a bottle the other evening. Thank you whoever you are. I think I know but I will have to check to be sure and include your name later here.

You have done me a great service here on my day-off and I bet the wine will go great with our roasted / my roasted chicken this evening. I can hardly wait to try the two together. I love the color, I love the age, the depth, the viscosity, the nuances from the highest bright yet mellowed/enriched highs to the lowest bass baritone lows of both sound, music, voice, color and overall register of all the magnificent tars. leathers and tobaccos that have come into a symmetry and a harmony that is magical just now. I've hit the jackpot! At this temperature now as the wine has slightly chilled by sitting outside in this cool weather - autumn of ours , damp and a bit ugly really, I've got the perfect conditions and so I will rush out to enjoy a few last lingering, lilting, languorous and charming, magical and as close-to-perfect -as -one-ever-gets periods before my daughter arrives and I must go and serve our dinner. Cheers and bravo, TONY


More later I promise, TONY


P.S. I'm back! I'm in rapture! Went outside, tasted the BOUCHARD FINLAYSON Pinot Noir 2005 Galpin Peak again and was again blown away on every level, on every stage, on every format, platform, arena, whatever : the wine works so well on so many levels : the bright, deeper ruby-garnet-splashes-of-strawberry colors - the grip, the grit, the grunt, the groan, the grist and the tar, leather and tobacco of the Bordeaux wines that I love - and yet it's Pinot Noir, I know! So Many added spices and layers and nuances that escape me but enthrall and please and excite me. I'm puzzled to the max as I drink this and yet I'm loving it ,really I am!

I can't wait to get some to Cleveland Park N.W. Washington, D.C. I'll work on this immediately tomorrow and hope that the 2005 is still available for purchase. I'll be sick if it is not.

It must be slightly chilled, it must have 30-45 minutes of breathing before being served. It's serious, glorious magnificent wine. Do you all at BOUCHARD FINLAYSON know what a treasure you have? Do you have any f-king idea what a gem you have here with this Pinot Noir?!? Probably. Hopefully this impassioned / immediate / insane rambling blog will help you all to get the word out.

Anyway, it's grand and I love it and I told my wife who is also drinking it with me and she agrees. What more could you want? My son says the bouquet is grand. I will let you know later what my daughter says. Cheers once again. I'm back outside to more rapture and more enjoyment and all those things that rarely happen like this but are so grand and unexpected and welcome when they do. Cheers, toasts, sante, etc all over again. TONY


What a deep, musky, earthy, colored and spiced and aromatized and herbalized/soiled/dried and dank and dark and darned grand bouquet, too ... now for the taste : can I stand the suspense that still awaits me? There's still a third of the bottle left. I guess that I will be waxing poetic into the wee hours of the night until I finally wane and extinguish this flame of liquid red so that I may finally sleep and dream all over about where I have just been in every and all senses/ trails/tribulations/fashions/feasts without famines ...


It's now 6:19 Pm and here I am listening to Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz and waiting for our daughter to arrive for dinner : I've poured another glass for my wife that is making things in 100 units for her 2nd graders in elementary school : her glass was empty and she was more than ready for more as she, too is really enjoying this BOUCHARD FINLAYSON Galpin Peak 2005 Pinot Noir from South Africa. I had to come inside : the cold of the disappearing sun and day was too much even for this fabulous wine, However ...

This BOUCHARD FINLAYSON Galpin 2005 Pinot Noir is taking Pinot Noir to another level and plateau and I am as enthralled with it now at 6:23 PM as I was earlier when I started this blog. I might have to buy some for family and friends and hold a block party and invite some of the people in the wine business over to drink it with us? I like this idea, I really love this wine, what a totally unexpected gustatory/mental. all senses treat for me and my wife , gotta love it ...

No comments: