Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Becky Wasserman Burgundy Wine-Maker Dinner @ Nora's Organic Restaurant Back In The Late 80's When I Was Wine Manager Of Burka's Fine Wines

This was indeed a very long time ago and I was reminded of it earlier this morning when I turned to the FOOD section of the Wednesday edition of the Washington Post newspaper ( Wed. July 21st, 2010 ) and saw the article by Dave McIntyre on his visit to burgundy and to the offices of Becky Wasserman and to meet some of the new generation of biodynamic growers and wine-makers. When did you go Dave? When did you have time? I am jealous of course.

We have one of Becky's wines in our store now, a dry white Burgundy from Simon Bise I believe? I will add that information when I get to the store later today. One of our customers called and requested some and so it took a bit of time to track it down and order if for that customer. We got some extra so that we could have some for other customers as well as we know the high quality that she represents.

I tried some of her wines perhaps two years ago at the Cork Wine Bar when I went there to meet Theresa and John Morrison with Ugo Chiola of the Piemonte region of Italy. There was a French portfolio tasting of French wines held by Bacchus Imports and it was there that I met this young lady representing Beck's wines.

I used to buy them years ago through Christopher Canaan/Becky Wasserman Selections that I believe came through Bacchus Imports? It's been awhile so if my memory fails me please excuse me.

Anyway, I used to buy the wines for Burka's Fine Wines on Wisconsin Avenue N.W. back in the late eighties and that's when the wine broker Todd Ruby invited me to come to dinner at Nora's to meet Becky Wasserman and to meet some of her French wine growers/ wine-makers. I went and I remember the evening really fondly. It was perhaps one of the greatest dinners that I had ever attended in my career. I sat at the other end of the long table off to the left side of one of the dining rooms. I speak fluent French and was very comfortable and pleased to be surrounded by a group of Frenchmen and women that it appeared to me did not speak much English. I believe that they were delighted to have stumbled upon me as we spoke about all the things that I as well as the French hold dear to life and happiness and all things wonderful and good : life, arts, women, song, dance, wine and food and of course men, too!

Wow, it was incredible. I said " hello " to Becky but not much more. She and Todd and Becky's husband all held court at the other end of the table and the French and I waxed poetic about all things wonderful and glorious in life. I was in heaven, really I was there surrounded by some of the most affable and kind and dedicated French souls that clearly were enjoying themselves as much as I was. I will have to now look and see if I have any info on which ones they were?

It's embarrassing to me not to clearly remember this now? How could I possibly forget their names/ How could I possibly forget all the many fine details? Shocking, I know : especially since I tell you it was one of the greatest evenings that I have ever had in my whole wine-career life!

So I will look more closely into this, I promise that I will. I will add to this, too. The wines were incredible as I already knew that they would be. However, what stood out at this dinner was that the owners/wine-makers were incredible, too and I would have loved to have seen them again and gotten to know them better.

I wonder if they all remember this evening as fondly as I do speaking to an American artist in French?

Vous vous souvenez de ce soir il y a longue temps mes chers amis Bourgignons vignerons Francaises? J'esper que oui! A la prochaine et bonne continuation a vous tous. TONY

No comments: