Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wed. June 16th, 2010 Our Local Rep Justin Of Didier Simonin's Simon 'N Cellars Tastes French Wines For Our Next In-Store/Wine-Tasting







We bought all of these four above except for the CROCHET Sancerre Loire Valley white. We may buy it, too. We will see. At this moment in time that we tasted it with Justin of Simon 'N Cellers we simply did not need it and besides I did not find it better than the Christian Lauverjat that we already sell for about the same amount of money.

The Macon-Vergisson 2008 dry white burgundy pictured above we purchased and had Justin pour at his last in-store wine-tasting here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits. I like it because at $19 a bottle I believe ( I am home on my day-off as I try and post these old blogs and catch up ) because it is a bit softer with brighter, more up-front Chardonnay flavors with the minerality well-hidden inside all the bright floral and fresh and blooming notes. It's hard not to like with or without food. It also makes a great contrast to our " Les Charmes " 2007 dry white burgundy from Macon-Lugny that is riddled and fined and infiltrated through with mineral and citrus overtones that will in my opinion always show to their best advantage when served with some food whether a more formal or relaxed meal. A salad with a nice vinaigrette, for example, would be lovely with it.




The CHATEAU HAUT-BANA 2007 Medoc dry red Bordeaux with more Cabernet Sauvignon than Merlot grapes is medium-bodied, young and still very much evolving and now even with food it displays lots of angles and acids and some soft tannins along with earth and spice overtones that simply need the food to flesh it out and give it a softer, more appealing and less aggressive format. We bought it and are happy to sell it ( Justin also tasted it with our customers ) and with a nice flavorful vegetarian meal like I enjoyed at the " new " Bollywood Cafe here in Old Towne Fairfax City proper this past Sunday afternoon with my wife it would have found a perfect foil to it's youthful vigor and brawn.




We bought the DOMAINE BRUSSET 2009 dry red blend of Cotes Du Ventoux southern Rhone and used that at $14.49 a bottle instead of the DOMAINE BRUSSET " Laurent B " to have Justin pour as we already had it and it's much more approachable and drinkable with all this infernal Washington D.C. infernal heat and humidity that we are having to suffer and cower through these days. It's also more affordable and so that also works much better for us here in Cleveland Park N.W. Washington D.C. our nation's capitol.




The " Laurent B " does have a striking deep darker, more toasty berry-cherry color above, doesn't it? The color alone makes me want to have some all over again : this time with some food Justin. N'oublie pas porter quelque choses a manger la prochaine fois que tu viens avec tous tes bouteilles des echantillons du vins excellentes.




Being an artist I like to go for the more unusual and I hope creative and original shots like the one above of Justin pouring another Rhone-style blend here I believe from Corbieres or Pays D'Oc or Languedoc was it? I can't remember now. I love watching the wine spill forth from the bottle neck into my Reidel wine-tasting glass. This is " the moment " and one that I am so happy to capture as the light above really gives some more bright life and color to the wine here.

I love the oranges and red hues along with the bits of yellow and bubbles, too. There are three stages : 1) just as the wine leaves the bottle lips, 2) the round almost transparent circle or bubble that 's 3) in between the bottle lips and the pool that it makes at the bottom of the Reidel wine-tasting glass. Each and everyone of these three adds another dimension and view of the wine and it's colors and clarity.





This was a good tasting for Chris Barker and me to have time to decide what we would pour from Didier Simonin's excellent portfolio of hand-picked/selected French country wines that he warehouses in Charlottesville, Virginia and gets to us twice a week now I believe.

I have known Didier Simonin ( president of Simon 'N Cellars ) now for quite a number of years and have always been happy to sell and represent his excellent portfolio of wines here in Cleveland Park, Washington D.C. I think that years ago he might of first heard of me through Francis that used to cook for the French Ambassador years ago at the French residence? Is that correct Didier?

Anyway I know that you are busy Didier running your small import company of wines and that it is best to have Justin call on us now as he lives in Washington D.C. and not in Charlottesville as you do. You are still always welcome at our store and I do enjoy when you come by to chat and try Chris Barker and me on something new and exciting. Cheers, a notre sante et a bientot mon ami. TONY

No comments: