Thursday, June 3, 2010

De Grendel Durbanville South Africa Wines Here Now @ Cleveland Park Wines W/ Many Others In Time For The 2010 World Cup: Come By & Buy Some!



I loved the DeGRENDEL 2010 Cape Of Good Hope rose! It was my absolute favorite of the bunch for drinking right now in this Washington D.C. metropolitan hot weather with lots of humidity throughout these next few months. Don't get me wrong : I liked the others, too : as well as my conversation about wine-maker Curly of in Durbanville, not far from DeGRENDEL. I liked the wines and have already ordered them and they are on our shelves at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com , www.clevelandparkwine.com where I have managed the wine department for the last ten years.




I have all the wines except for the DeGRENDEL 2010 Cape Of Good Hope dry rose because it is not yet in stock. I hope to get it soon. With the World Cup just days away from being held in Cape Town, South Africa you should all come to the store to get some of these delicious, balanced and well-crafted wines.




I liked the dry 2009 DeGRENDEL Cape Of Good Hope Sauvignon Blanc enough ( I just did not find it as interesting as the rest - dry, balanced and needing a meal - it just never took off for me like the others, never made me take flight, so-to-speak ) : but I really liked both the 2007 DEGRENDEL dry Merlot Cape Of Good Hope and the dry 2007 DeGRENDEL Shiraz. The Merlot was softer and brighter and more supple than Curly's version that we also sell. Curly's needs a good meal served piping hot and right off the grill whereas this De GRENDEL was more full, rich and bright-red toasty berry-cherry-flavored and creamier, too. It could be sipped all by itself for awhile before the were to arrive.

The Shiraz 2007 Cape Of Good Hope DeGRENDEL is more what I would expect : medium-bodied, good terroir and plenty of character and really better with a meal that will allow it to shine as it is fleshed-out by the food.




I am going to post this incomplete blog entry because the Soccer World Cup is just about to take place in Cape Town and I want this to be out before that. I will add the many details that I need to very soon. In the meantime look at these pictures and enjoy the colors of the wines as well as my artsy compositions. I hope that they make you want to come see us or your local wine merchant/shop to buy some to enjoy along with the many other excellent South African wines ( BEAUMONT, MORESON, BLAAUKLIPPEN, KIMBERLEY, DIEU DONNE, ) just in time for the 2010 Soccer World Cup! Cheers and stay-tuned for more. TONY







I love it when our reps and owners/wine-makers all speak with their hands as they recount stories and the histories of both the wines and those that own and make them ... that's the only " point " that matters to me, not arbitrary scores and points that are given to the wines ...













Look at that lovely color of the wine in the picture above : it makes me want to try it all over again ...







This was really fun and educational for me. Thanks again ...

No comments: