Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Italian Importer Peter Matt Brings Us " New " Selections To Taste : EREMO COLLE ( Montepulciano ) E CASA ALLA TERRA ( Chianti, Colli Senesi ) 5/25/10

"From San Gimignano, Tuscany " the headline should finish.


I have known Peter Matt now for at least ten or so years I would say and have enjoyed doing some Italian business with him over the years. He brings classic, well-made, focused, typical-to-the-region-soil-and-climate Italian wines. They are better food wines than simple sipping wines as they will often make you hungry. They have always sold well for us when we represent them as they should be : as what I have just described above.

This was a good visit with Sam of LVDH Imports and Peter Matt. I liked very much what I tasted and said that we would bring some of these selections to the store. Even better I recommended to Sam that he taste me on any other Peter Matt selections that he has and that we would organize a complete in-store/wine-tasting with Sam of Peter's wines on either a Friday evening from 5-8 PM or on a Saturday afternoon from 3-7 PM. So, we are working on this now and will soon have some of your wines to sell here at Cleveland Park Wines & Spirits ( 3423 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Washington D.C. 20008 Tel:202-363-4265 sales@clevelandparkwine.com www.clevelandparkwine.com ) where I have now managed the wine department for the last ten years.




These are but a very few of the pictures that I took of Peter's visit and will use/add more at a later date. However, in the meantime I will post these with this brief blog entry as to have something immediately available for further commentary and additions.

I liked both these two wines that I have pictured here. I believe that there may have been another three-four wines that I sampled on this late afternoon on May 25th, 2010 here at Cleveland Park. I will check both my notes and other pictures at the store and include them later as I have already said.




However, both these wines : the EREMO COLLE Montepulciano d'Abruzzo dry red and the CASA ALLA TERRA 2008 Chianti Colli Senesi from San Gimignano in Tuscany were earthy, dusty-dry, still maturing and with good , hearty flavors that would best be shown with a meal to flesh them both out, so-to-speak. That was always the idea. Being made in a traditional manner they may age and improve in the bottle as well and there is nor push to buy a case of either and drink all twelve bottles immediately. Rather, I recommend that a case of each be purchased and that you all drink a bottle a month and watch and see as both reveal more personality and complexity that they both have buried inside them and not just yet ready to completely show. Slow and easy : don't be in a rush with a good Italian wine : baby it a bit and get the most that you can with patience.




Peter Matt wrote in our guest book : " Artwork in a glass at Cleveland Park. Geology is my secret to sanity. I have rocks in my head! Thanks to Tony for creating an inviting atmosphere ". I appreciate these kind words Peter. Thanks very much.




WE will have these wines in July 2010 and start a " new " chapter with the excellent Italian wines selections of Peter Matt. I can't wait! Join us really soon. Cheers e a presto... TONY

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.