Friday, May 7, 2010

DOMAINE DROUHIN Oregon Pinot Noir , Wine Spectator Grand Tour Washington D.C. , Friday, April 30th, 2010



Look at this shot above taken with my Canon camera from below and looking up to the magnificent skylight ceiling of sculpted metal and many panes of glass like delicate membranes : a diaphanous feeling of light slipping through : back and forth, no boundaries really : limitless, the sky the limit - nice. I gotta say that being an artist I was almost as much taken with the physical beauty of the setting as I was with the people and the wines I was tasting.

Here were both Ashley Bell and Arron Bell more than happy and pleased to taste me on their DOMAINE DROUHIN Pinot Noir. They were also very patient with me taking so many pictures of them and their wine and of them pouring it for me and for others.




I came to this tasting wanting to meet many of the French producers and owners/wine-makers that might be on hand. It did not escape my subconscious I am sure that when I saw the DOMAINE DROUHIN sign/placard that peut-etre/maybe Veronique Drouhin herself might be on hand to introduce her wines to us? I would have loved to have finally met her having sold her family's wines pretty much since their inception years ago.

I introduced myself immediately to Ashley and gave her one of my business cards and continued to take my pictures and taste my DOMAINE DROUHIN much in silence as I looked, listened and observed. Sometimes my own thought processes of composing pictures and seeing what I could through my Canon viewfinder as I moved it and my glass around did unfortunately drown out much of the action happening around me. Oh well, what I still do retain of this experience is both favorable and memorable.




They might have chosen a less stunning setting to taste all these wines : I may have concentrated thus on them more and less on the whole experience and place and time that enveloped and charmed and pleased/teased and amused me all at once. Almost too much : sensory overload, really! But I loved the experience and the setting and the wines.

I would like to retaste this DOMAINE DROUHIN, however as I had too many things in my hands to take notes. I did enjoy it and I did think that it would have made a better food wine than a sipping wine. Other than that everything is a bit sketchy and fussy sort of like a photograph that is very pleasing but somewhat out-of-focus.



I will have to relate quickly here my most memorable DOMAINE DROUHIN Oregon Pinot Noir story that happened years ago here in northern Virginia where I used to hold my home-wine-tastings-explorations-extensions-of-life-wine-song-art-women-us-men-and-men-for-them-women ... they were fun, out-there experiences where the scent of a wine, a mere whiff would send me and everyone else off on glorious journeys just as a hound dog might pick up the scent of something and be off with the same energy, purpose and enthusiasm.




It's time for me to be off to work now and I have more to write but will post this as is for the moment and finish it later tonight ( Thursday, May 27th, 2010 ). Stay-tuned for more and enjoy these pictures in the meantime. Cheers, TONY et a plus tard. Viens-me voir Veronique a Cleveland Park Wines Et Spirits a Washington D.C. N.W. ou je m'occupe des achats et vents de nos vins dans notre capital ... quel plaisir that would be ...







No comments: